Chapter 36

It took a while of searching, weaving through little groups of people and almost losing sight of the purple Jiang robes twice before Liu Xin and her entourage stopped in front of a muddy brown tent. It stood a bit offside and could only be set apart from the rest by the purple Lotus crest on the tent flap. The entrance was guarded by two men in Jiang robes that looked a bit older than the disciples they had met in Lotus Pier. Their eyes narrowed at the unknown faces but transformed from suspicion to confusion as they noticed the children. Liu Xin guessed, they would attract stares like these a lot in the near future. They should probably get used to them.

Ignoring the looks, the group walked past the guards who, curiously, didn't try to stop them and entered the tent. Inside three people were talking animatedly with one another. Liu Xin briefly wondered where all the other Jiang disciples had disappeared to but she supposed it wasn't any of her business. If they wanted to magically disappear before she could thank them for safely carrying two of her dear siblings here, that was their choice.
"Are you sure you're okay, A-Xian?" Yanli sounded worried as she stood directly in front of a figure in dark robes. A few steps to the side stood Jiang Cheng, his scowl still as recognizable as ever, though it didn't look quite as superficial as it did in her memories. Of course he wouldn't be the same. Not after he had lost so much. His face was thinner, his eyes narrowed and framed by subtle bags. The robes he was wearing were not muted in color like his sister's but were very dirty. His arms were crossed across his chest, a ring sparkling on his finger, as he watched Jiang Yanli fuss over what had to be Wei Wuxian sitting on the bed. Not wanting to disturb the moment between them, Liu Xin walked over to Jiang Cheng, who looked over as soon as he had noticed them in the corner of his eyes. Everything in his gaze screamed distrust and his first instinct must have been to protect his siblings, judging by the step he took to put himself between Liu Xin and the kids and his siblings. She saw his fingers twitch but didn't let it bother her. These were taxing times for everyone. She couldn't fault him, a teenager forced to grow up too fast, for being suspicious and tense.

Liu Xin took a deep breath before bowing deeply to him. "Greetings, Jiang-zongzhu. This one is Liu Xin, courtesy Xiaolin, and I am here to offer my aid." When she straightened again, she noticed his posture had become way more relaxed. In his eyes there even seemed to be something akin to recognition.

Liu Xin normally wasn't a very formal person but in her time living in Koi Tower and with Meng Yao had taught her that politeness was an incredible tool when in an uncomfortably tense situation. It would probably be a good way to communicate with all the youths, exhausted and weary of fighting.
Jiang Cheng gave her a stiff nod with his whole upper body. It was too quick and shallow to be called a bow but she understood the meaning. She didn't mind much, considering how they were technically already on friendly terms. Or at least they had been when they last saw each other.

"Xiaolin-jie?" A curious voice inquired from behind Jiang Cheng. The latter rolled his eyes, the corners of his mouth almost coming up in a small smirk, stepping aside to reveal his brother. Yanli was apparently finished fussing over him for now, seeing as she had moved to a nearby table of sorts. She looked at Jiang Cheng expectantly. It was probably his turn now.
As Liu Xin looked at Wei Wuxian for the first time in years, she felt as if all the air had been punched out of her. The teenager in front of her only barely resembled the boy in her memory. His cheeks were almost gaunt, his skin as pale as a ghost's. The robes he was wearing hung loosely from his shoulders, concealing the shape of his body, but if Liu Xin combined his harsh cheekbones and his fragile looking wrists she could imagine what the rest must have looked like. The only clues that this was indeed Wei Wuxian, were his silver eyes and his smile, both of which looked muted and hollow. He looked like he had come back from the dead.

Now that she thought about it, he had, hadn't he?

He had been thrown in Burial Mounds, a death sentence for every other cultivator, and survived for three months with only the clothes on his back. Liu Xin remembered holding her niece crying her eyes out after reading about Wei Wuxian's first chance at life. She had let the girl vent her feelings and frustrations. At the time, Wei Wuxian had just been a fictional character to her. A character in a sad story that met a tragic end. But he wasn't a character anymore. He was a living breathing human being. Someone she had met in her life, who made her laugh and smile, who had made his home in her memories despite only spending little time with him. Tears made their way to her eyes and her hands began to shake slightly.