Chapter 18

Fate seemed to have made Zixuan its target. As he was making his way to his room, he stumbled upon none other than Lan Xichen. He had nothing against the first jade. He was a strong and respectable cultivator. But at this moment, he was one of the most inconvenient people Zixuan could have encountered. Lan Xichen noticed him immediately and gave a salute. Zixuan returned the salute, trying to keep the bruise on his face out of sight. It was no use.

"Jin-gongzi, what happened? Why is there such a bruise on your face?"

What was he supposed to say to that? He didn't want to lie, but he also didn't want to tattle.

"It's nothing important, Lan-gongzi. I appreciate your concern but it is not necessary."

Lan Xichen did not look convinced in the slightest and was about to pry further when someone turned the corner with heavy steps. It was Lan Qiren, followed by two Lan disciples Zixuan thought he recognised from his lessons. Both Jin Zixuan and Lan Xichen saluted the elder while the latter scrutinized Zixuan's face. Under the harsh eyes of his teacher, Zixuan began kneading the inside of his lower lip between his teeth. It had been wishful thinking on his part to hope no one needed to know about their little fight today. Of course Lan disciples would inform their teacher about such an incident.

Soon he found himself in Lan Qiren's office, kneeling in front of a desk and Wei Wuxian kneeling next to him. The elder in question sat behind his desk, his eyes full of irritation were trained on Wei Wuxian.

How come Teacher Lan seems to be so harsh on Wei Wuxian from the beginning? Jin Zixuan couldn't help asking himself this. He even threw something at him in their first lesson!

"You really have no sense of propriety nor respect for our rules in our home!" Even though it was worded in a way it could be referring to both of them, Jin Zixuan noticed how Lan Qiren's eyes never strayed from the kneeling form of his peer. The latter's head was bowed in acceptance, never once moving. Zixuan's hands clenched the fabric of his robes. It wasn't Wei Wuxian's fault. Well, at least not completely. He knew if it was his shijie in his place she would say something. She would stand up for the boy next to him. That's what they all were, weren't they? Boys. Zixuan was one of the older ones participating in the guest lectures and he was only 16. Wei Wuxian was younger than him.

"First you break the curfew, bring alcohol, incriminate my nephew; you are a menace, Wei Wuxian. Now you become violent towards your fellow students!" With each listed offense Lan Qiren's voice rose a bit in volume and intensity. "The only acceptable punishment at this point is expulsion!" At that Wei Wuxian flinched a little.

Zixuan's lip hurt from the kneading of his teeth and his knuckles turned white. This was wrong! He should do something! But what? It was moment's like these when Zixuan got frustrated with himself for his awkwardness in social situations. It was embarrassing to admit it to himself, but at that moment it was so obvious he could no longer deny it.

Wei Wuxian could have defended himself, that he knew. But Zixuan also knew that if Wei Wuxian tried to defend himself now, Lan Qiren would probably continue finding faults with him. And considering Wei Wuxian's silent acceptance, he knew it as well.

Finally Jin Zixuan broke through his mental blockage by bowing deeply, almost hitting his forehead on the floor.

"Teacher Lan, may I ask something?" For the first time Lan Qiren's eyes properly settled on the Jin heir. Even Wei Wuxian subtly glanced at Jin Zixuan.

"You may."

"Thank you. I wanted to ask why Wei-gongzi and I are the only ones who were called here."

Lan Qiren raised an eyebrow in confusion, his hand finding its way to his beard. "What do you mean?"