Chapter 13

The three days were over rather quickly. Liu Xin and Jiang Yanli met up daily to drink tea, talk and just generally enjoy each other's company. Liu Juan had left her daughter with her new friend after the first day.

She was very relieved to see her daughter finally having a friend outside of the Jin Sect. Liu Xin had never been one to actively seek out friends or companions like others her age normally did. She wasn't especially introverted or shy, quite the contrary. She loved going to town and spending her whole days there, playing music, dancing and chatting away with the citizens of Lanling. But she didn't have really close friends except for Lan Xichen and Nie Mingjue. Sometimes Liu Juan couldn't decipher the teen. In the end, she left Liu Xin to it as long as she was happy.

Jiang Yanli and Liu Xin were taking a stroll through one of the many gardens of Koi Tower, when they stumbled upon Lan Xichen sitting under a tree.

The warm light of the sun illuminated his face that was already handsome as it was. Combined with the light wind that made his hair sway and tugged at his white robes, it was as if an immortal was sitting in front of them.

Liu Xin couldn't stop staring. Her mouth was opened slightly and blood rushed to her head. Jiang Yanli was also surprised, but she only stopped briefly to admire the Lan heir. When she saw Liu Xin's reaction, she smiled knowingly.

Liu Xin was brought from her trance as her companion gave her a nudge. The mischievous expression on Jiang Yanli's face only served to make her face even redder. She took a few deep breaths to calm herself, before the two approached him.

Thankfully Lan Xichen hadn't noticed them until they were closer. He had been lost in thought.

"Good afternoon, Jiang-guniang, Xiaolin." He smiled in greeting.

The redness that had just begun to subside, threatened to make a reappearance. A warmth spread in Liu Xin's chest. She wasn't sure if she could trust her voice at that moment so she simply returned the smile.

Jiang Yanli curtsied to Lan Xichen. "Good afternoon, Lan-gongzi. I hope we didn't interrupt anything."

"Ah no, don't worry."

Liu Xin wondered why Lan Xichen was alone. She had seen him here and there around Koi Tower but he had always been trailed by Lan Wangji.

"Say, Xichen-ge, where is Lan Wangji? Isn't he with you?"

"No, Wangji is in his room. He isn't used to all the noise and being away from Cloud Recesses for so long." Lan Xichen's eyes trailed off in thought.

"Is he very sensitive to sound?"

"He is."

"I'm sure he'll be fine if he rests in his room for a while. No one will disturb him there."

Unconsciously Liu Xin had moved closer to Lan Xichen and laid a hand on his shoulder. He just exuded such genuine worry for his brother, she felt the need to comfort him.

Xichen was surprised when he felt her hand. But he was thankful for her words and understanding.

Jiang Yanli watched the exchange, a smile never leaving her face.

After a longer moment of silence Yanli gently cleared her throat, making Liu Xin retreat her hand way faster than necessary. Her cheeks were slightly red again.

"Lan-gongzi, Lan-er-gongzi must be very happy to have such a thoughtful brother. But I'm sure he wouldn't want you to worry about him." Even though Jiang Yanli was the youngest of them, her 'older-sister'-voice worked to calm the other two. Her aura was calming and her expression was warm and kind.