Chapter 85 - The Looming Storm

Start from the beginning

"This isn't a very well thought out plan. We should focus on getting Link away from Naar once the sapphire is acquired. With no one there to help him but us, he'll need all the assistance we can offer." Cayla murmured, shaking her head.

"Whatever. We don't have the time to think of a better one. We must work with what we have." He unfolded his arms and began walking down the decline with a growl. "Fine, we do it your way! Come. The more time we waste, the less time Link has. Let's put the plan into action now."

===========================================================

The Gerudo king stroked the fire he had created carefully. The wind was picking up and it was getting colder. Despite the midday sun beating down on their heads, the air still felt chilly against their skin. For Zelda, it was torture and she was found shaking profusely, her teeth chattering being the most obvious symptom of her freezing. Ganondorf was born from the desert and these types of conditions were normal during the deep reaches of the night. He was not heartless however and established a roaring fire without prompt for her.

Apolloni had started to make some lewd and scornful remarks about Zelda but was sharply reprimanded by Ganondorf and ordered to stand by Appa and tend to the horse. She stomped off in a foul mood before digging out some apples from their saddlebags and offered a few to the eager stallion. She turned around and folded her arms defiantly as she glowered at the two of them enjoying themselves by the fire. Merin sat aways off from them, seemingly aloof in her misery. She hadn't spoken a single word since they left Kakariko.

"What do you see in her?" Zelda asked indicating Apolloni, her teeth still rattling.

He barely even glanced in the elder's direction, "She is a prodigy, even among us Gerudo. Most children don't get good with the sword or the art of warfare until they are well into their twentieth cycles. She had impressed her teachers at the young age of thirteen, at a time when she should have been an apprentice doing the bidding of her superiors."

Zelda cocked her head; Ganondorf was staring longingly into the fire, as if reminiscing of the golden days long gone. She kept quiet for fear of breaking the moment, allowing him to release his thoughts as they came. "Never before in Gerudo history had a female been born that wasn't with crimson hair. She was the object of much ridicule for it. Being the young king in training, I knew my place and I did not do anything to favor her over any other. She eventually grew to defend herself and earn her keep among the Gerudo far earlier than she should have, eventually becoming an elder."

Her attention wandered over to Apolloni, who had since stopped staring at them. She was now grooming the horse and making soft noises to it which seemed to calm the animal. "Is that why she is such a...difficult person to be around?"

Ganondorf stifled a small chortle, "I guess you could say that. She fought hard to earn her place as elder at such a young age. Most females do not get that status until they are well into their forties. The fact she is just turning twenty five this cycle is quite the accomplishment. I have much respect for her, despite her demeanor."

Her teeth finally slowing down due to the embracing warmth of the fire, she began to smile at the Gerudo king. "You really do care for your people." He nodded without saying a word. "So why did you take me? Do you care for me too?" She had made it come off as a joke, but his expression was serious.

"I have always coveted your land, Zelda." His scrutiny was penetrating. She couldn't help but look away from the intensity of his gaze. "I seeked to take it from your father, your king, I will not deny that. My goal, even today, remains the same: to establish a better life for my people. I need the power to do that. Once I acquire that power, what better way to cement ties between Hyrule and the Gerudo than in marriage?"