Chapter 85 - The Looming Storm

Darunia smashed his fist into the nearby boulder. They were waiting up near the entrance to their former home, eagerly awaiting any word on how the meeting went down. The answer was less than ideal. They figured having Gorons there would disrupt the overall situation and it would be best to send in Sheikah. Their ability to hide in the shadows when needed was essential in not blowing their cover. They were there as a failsafe should something go wrong.

"Forget being subtle! We should have been down there to protect Link! I should have been down there!" Darunia shouted directly into Cayla's face, pointing a finger down the slope towards the ruined town.

Her face was impassive, her swirling emotions hidden behind a façade of supposed indifference. "We were not expecting the additional men from Nevachrea to ambush us, nor the ability of the Gerudo elders to be controlled by their king. Nabooru is not at fault for this but it was wrong that we had her accompany Zelda to the graveyard." Her tone was monotonous and her eyes stared straight ahead, not even looking at the Goron king, ashamed of her ineptitude at protecting both Link and Zelda.

His eyes turned to Nabooru, "Could you not control yourself? Why did you let him take you over like that?" Darunia demanded.

Nabooru wiped a tear from her eye, "I don't know what happened. I've never felt anything like that before in my life. I was aware of what I was doing but I could do nothing about it. My body was not my own. I felt...violated." She hiccupped, trying to maintain a sturdy temperament.

Darunia expressed his anger with a bellow, "Doesn't matter now! Link is being taken off by the Nevachreans rather than by Ganondorf, which is what we had expected and wanted. With his help, Link could have secured the sapphire. Now we've lost that advantage!"

"I'm sorry." Nabooru began. "I truly thought I could take care of Zelda. I didn't want to be a burden to anyone. I just wanted to help." She broke down and began to cry. She was still reeling in shock that her lover, Talon, had died. Goddesses knew where Malon and Giana were. For all she knew, they were also dead.

Cayla wrapped a comforting arm around the Gerudo woman. As much as she disliked their race, she had to admit Nabooru received a rather abrupt wake-up call of her love being killed and by her own king no less. "We've all lost someone dear in this war." Cayla consoled, she turned to the stretcher they had made for Impa. They had carried her all the way up to the Goron city, they would eventually bury her but it was not determined where. Until that time, the body would reside here safe in the city until the war was over.

"So what is our next step?" Cayla asked, handing Nabooru off to another Sheikah to be solaced better.

Darunia folded his arms as he looked down across the plains, viewing the seething horde of men, horses and potential demons in disguise. After several minutes, he spoke slowly, "We trust in Link. It appears he is being taken directly to Naar. It may not have been in the company of Ganondorf but the end result should still be the same. We must trust he will find a way to acquire the sapphire without Ganondorf's help. We set up Gorons at key locations within the camp alongside the Sheikah and when he gives the signal, we will attack and bring him out with the sapphire."

Cayla's gaze turned towards the Temple of Time, just visible over the walls of the city. "And of Zelda? Do you think Ganondorf took her to the temple?"

Darunia grunted, "I can't say, but we should split our forces. Several of us should remain at the capital and wait for Link and the others. If Ganondorf is there, we shall also deal with him. I will go myself to the temple and await my sworn brother. We need to make sure the way ahead is safe for him to accomplish his task. A lot is riding on his shoulders."

"But Ganondorf has the other two stones, as well as the ocarina, which is necessary in opening the door of time." Cayla pointed out.

"If Link has the sapphire, Ganondorf will come to us. We'll be ready for him." Darunia rumbled heatedly.