Chapter 91 - Becoming a God

Zelda backed up a few paces as she stared up at the hideous mask. Ganondorf had risen up to his full height but he was not in control of his own body. The fighting around them had ceased. Everyone was looking at the new intruder in their midst, something clearly not right. With a flourish, Majora swept back his cape and looked around the group, making sure to make brief eye contact with each one.

"What a delightful band of merry folks you've gathered here today Hylia! It seems to be quite the successful turn out!" A small gurgle of laughter reverberated within Ganondorf's throat.

Holding his sword aloft, pointing it directly at Majora, Link stepped close to Zelda and placed a protective arm around her waist. "I thought I said to find the one person who would be able to resist its control so we could destroy it! Do you not remember our talk?"

Her shoulders tensed as Majora's gaze swooped back onto the two them. She quickly whispered out of the side of her mouth, "When you said the Triforce had already been split when Ganondorf touched it, I figured he would still have it. What better to resist it than if you had the Triforce of Power?"

Link's eyes were rooted as Majora examined him strangely, tilting its face awkwardly this way and that, deciding what exactly to do with him. He susurrated, "Oh, now you take my stories to heart? You probably just gave Majora the power of the Triforce as well!" He swore harshly under his breath.

"I know you." Majora churned, raising a finger up and pointing at Link's chest. "Yes...your face is familiar to me. You deceived me into thinking you were only there to alleviate my endless torture of being the lock that binds this world together. You were just like all the others...coming to claim my power! I should have eaten you when I had the chance!"

Zelda's memories came flooding back, she recalled her champion being imprisoned for a crime he did not commit, a being sent by Demise under Link's guise tasked with destroying Majora. She was just a dragon eternal then, one of the eldest, who stood outside the bounds of time to keep neutrality between the principalities of the world. She stood at the epicenter of space and time to maintain the balance. Upon her death at the deceit of Demise's greatest weapon, he entered their world seeking the Triforce, causing the first war for the Triforce.

Link shuffled his feet, dragging Zelda back with him as Majora advanced upon them. Everyone was silent, even Naar and the Kokiri were watching with rapt attention at what was to occur next. "It's not his fault!" Zelda exclaimed heatedly.

The masked face swiveled to her, its beady green eyes dissecting her soul. "Of course it wasn't, was it Hylia? Always the defender of your precious champion! He is a brigand and a liar!" The voice boomed through the temple. "I have grown weary of your incessant warring Hylia. I was always to keep the balance, but neither you nor Demise honored my duty. Were we not placed here by the Goddesses to guide the Huma's path to divinity? To show them that there is a better path? Look where your petty quarrel has got you now!" Majora extended an arm and swung it around the group. "A far cry from what the Goddesses decreed!"

Kotake, due to some inner instinct to protect her king, plunged down sharply before leaping off her broom, remarkably spry in her old age. She stromped right up to the imposing Gerudo king with the parasitic mask enveloping his features and waggled a knobby finger, "I don't know what you are but you release my son right now!"

Majora crooked its head at an angle as it glared down at the stunted witch, "But he was never really your son, now was he?" Kotake took a step back as she gasped at the awful allegation. "Always pulling the strings of your own people, there is a reason your tribe is doomed to die. You have thrown your allegiance to those who would seek evil and conquer the Triforce. You have failed and you will be punished for it." The last sentence was delivered with a deeper vibrato than previous. It was as if Ganondorf himself spoke it rather than Majora.