Chapter 41 - Lingering Doubt

They had spent the better part of the day going over the meticulous plans that Kafei and his crew had devised. Sprawled out over the nearest stump was a scroll of parchment with which a crude map was drawn out on its surface. Kafei was leaning over it, studying it intently with the bangs of his violet hair hanging down. He looked up to see Link coming over to investigate what he was up to, he smiled as he motioned for Link to come see the operational plan.

"I'm overjoyed to see fellow Freedom Fighters in these dark times." Kafei began happily, "This is something remarkable that Toby has provided us."

He gestured to the drawing laid out on the wood. Link glossed over it. It appeared to be a highly detailed map of a walled town. "Is this something you took or was it made by Toby?" Link prodded.

Out of nowhere, the excitable youngster bounded from beyond the central tree and skipped over to the two of them. "It was me! Aren't you amazed at my awesome drawing skills?!" He asked animatedly.

Kafei laughed at the boy's antics, "Indeed. This little bugger snuck his way into the town all by himself without us knowing one night! He evaded the Nevachrean guards and mapped the entire place out on this parchment! He is my favorite spy!"

"Ha! I'm your only spy!" Toby rebuked, sticking a tongue out at Kafei.

Kafei ruffled his hair lovingly, "All the more reason for me to be protective! Go on, get!" He said, feigning anger at the elated boy. "Link and I have to talk about some adult stuff now!"

Toby cackled as he dashed off; Link shook his head at the amount of energy the little boy had. "So you said Freedom Fighters? Aren't you the Bomber Gang?" Link quizzically asked.

Kafei raised a finger in correction, "No longer. We are the Freedom Fighters of Hyrule. Our goal is to take back the land that was desecrated and to protect those Hylians still left that are innocent. This village here," he indicated the map, "is but one of many Nevachrean strongholds that must be stamped out."

Link wanted to be sure of the overall plan, "Are there any women and children in that town?"

Kafei paused briefly before responding, "Not that I have seen. Only the horsemen we encountered last night go in and out of those gates. I do not know what their purpose is for being here, but it seems they are assaulting caravans filled with goods and taking it for themselves. We need to put a stop to it." He nodded his head in firm conviction.

"So what's the plan then?" Link offered; eager to be done with this mission so he could rescue Malon from the clutches of these evil men.

Kafei's face lit up with enthusiasm as he dove into the tactical scenario, "Well, my boys will assault the front gates from a distance so that they can launch their arrows into the compound without exposing themselves greatly. Utilizing them as a distraction, you, me, Zander and Merin can vault over the backside of the town here." He pointed to a rather odd looking corner section of the village. "There are some prepositioned bales of hay we put there a few moons ago. We can utilize those to hike ourselves over the pike wall. Our goal is to make it around the perimeter of the village to the main gates, take out the guards there and open it up for my crew to surge in and all of us bring the entire town to its knees."

Link glanced over to see Kafei's eyes burn with intensity, "So we bring the men to justice and then what? We are going to save Malon too, yes?" He wanted to be sure to voice where his overall motives lay.

The look evaporated as Kafei turned to beam at Link, "Of course. We will save your bonny lass from their evil clutches!" He laughed jovially.

Link couldn't help but chuckle at his good nature, despite talking about these serious matters. "So how long have you known these boys?" Link inquired.