Chapter 40 - The Bomber Gang

The morning dew rested heavily on their shared bedroll. Link looked over to see Zelda sleeping next to him, cuddled up to keep warm during the night. He had no idea how long he had been awake. The tree canopy surrounded them, sheltering the group from hostile eyes. He rolled over onto his stomach and leaned over the edge of the platform, it was suspended above the ground in the massive tree branches. It was quite an ingenious setup.

They had rumbled into the tree line in the early hours of the morning, the sky had not even begun to brighten with the coming sun. Kafei adroitly leapt off the horse before chivalrously offering his services to help Merin down to the spongy floor. The man was amazingly friendly and offered to take the baby Cyn'Taak off Zelda's hands as he directed Jim and one other child to help catch her as she slipped off her mare. Link declined the help and hopped down himself.

Kafei handed the twitching Cyn'Taak infant to the nearest child who looked particularly revolted just holding the creature. He walked directly up to Link before clasping his arm in a warm embrace before bringing him in for a full hug. Link stood rigid at the unexpected brotherly affection he was receiving. "Glad to have other people who aren't afraid to stand up to those Nevachrean brutes!" He beamed warmly as he stood back admiring Link.

"No...no problem." Link stuttered as he tried to reorient himself with the unfolding situation.

"Whoa!" Kafei jumped back as Link's horse vanished into black vapor, leaving nothing but four rotten hoof prints imprinted on the ground. "Is that normal with your horse?" He asked, slightly unnerved at the sight of a disappearing stallion.

Link scratched the back of his head, not quite sure what to say. "I'm not really sure what is going on. You see, it's not even mine." He finished sheepishly.

Kafei clapped a hand on Link's back with veneration, "Stole it then? That's okay, we don't judge here! All is fair in the war against these bastards, right?" He laughed heartily at his assertion. Link was a bit unsure about that viewpoint.

Merin interjected herself into the conversation, "Is there somewhere we can rest for the night? We are exhausted."

Kafei dashingly took her good arm and kneeled low kissing her hand reverently, "How rude of me not to extend decent hospitality to honored guests! Please, let me show you our home!"

Kafei gently led Merin through the five children who were busy guiding their horses into a makeshift stable made up of nothing but branches, leaves and natural foliage. Each young boy looked up smiling at them. Link and Zelda grinned back as they followed Kafei through a small opening between two oaks which had grown rather close together.

Stepping over the entwined roots, their eyes opened as they saw the most extraordinary sight. It was a grove surrounded by tightly knit trees forming a protective barrier around a central tree that stood at its center. An intricate system of pulleys and winches scaled the grand majesty of the massive oak in the center. Looking above their heads, there was a small network of wooden platforms complete with custom shelters where these boys went to sleep every night.

"You did all this?" Zelda asked amazed.

Kafei nodded before bringing Merin to the nearest hoist, "It took several cycles to complete this, but it is our home. We are proud of what we've accomplished. Please put your foot though this loop Merin." He guided her toes through the ring tied at the base of the rope resting on the grass. He slipped his foot alongside hers. "Hold onto my waist with your good arm."

She obligingly slipped one hand around his back. With a signal to Jim who unlocked one of the rotating handles situated on the ground, they began rising in the air. Merin yelped slightly as they lifted off the earth and began floating up towards the platforms in the canopy. She gripped his body tightly as he chuckled at her alarm. She gave him a dirty look. It melted the instant she saw the sincere warmth in his eyes.