Chapter 64 - Going in Circles

"Just admit it Link." Nabooru sighed, looking on the rocky crags and gullies of the highlands. "We're lost."

Link shifted his weight slightly as he perched precariously on the edge of the drop off, straight below him was a ravine with jagged pillars and what appeared to be a bleached carcass impaled on a rather nasty looking rock. Link sighed despondently, "Yeah, I'm sorry guys. I thought for sure we were going the right way." He looked off to the northeast. The tall snow peak appeared no closer than it had several hours ago. "I have a feeling the Gorons would be there, but I have no idea how we are going to get there!" Link moaned feeling miserable that he had gotten them lost.

Saria was busy hovering around above them, looking for alternate avenues they could use to progress onward towards the snowy peak. It appeared hopeless to her, the plethora of haphazardly strewn rocks and spires were jumbling together in her vision and everything looked more or less the same. Just when she thought she saw a pathway down into the ravine to get to the other side, she lost track of it when she zoomed to get a different angle. She raged at herself for being so useless.

"Let's not give up hope yet." Zelda said, trying to remain cheerful. She looked quite dirty like the rest of them. They had been clambering over stones and gravel the majority of the past two days with little progress to show for it. Her clothes were a complete disaster and dust was caked on all their belongings. "Everyone is depending on us to succeed in this, I'm sure the Gorons wouldn't lead you astray to fail. Darunia knew you would come looking for him here."

Link's shoulders sagged, "Yes, but I'm sure he was anticipating we were going to come from the west, not from the south. I'm sure finding their trail would have been a lot simpler the other way around." He pointed dismally off to the western sky, where the sun was just starting to fall on the horizon.

"Well, that's just great." Nabooru snorted. Exhaling loudly, she looked around and spotted an overhang that appeared to cover well from the elements. She indicated to the others of her discovery. "We might as well make up camp for the night. We'll try again in the morning."

The rest muttered at this idea but made no excuses or complaints. They all slumped their packs down, relieved to be free of their excessive loads. Link especially was grateful for having his back free from the overbearing burden that was placing stress on his wings. His appendages were aching and sore, he asked Zelda's assistance to untie them so he could unfurl them out from underneath his cloak.

They had let Epona and Fado loose in the fields as planned, Link tethered them together so they wouldn't go wandering off in separate directions but stay together. Epona was initially unwilling to leave without him. After a few hearty attempts at navigating the rough ridges and slopes of the foot hills, even the stubborn mare had to admit defeat. The mountains were no place for a horse. They knew this going into the mission. Ingo was to journey northwards shortly after them with Malon and Ashley to retrieve Epona and Fado and bring them back to Glaun'rung, everything seemed to be in order there. Link only hoped Epona didn't have to wait too long on Ingo.

Fall was quickly ending and winter was fast approaching; each of them could feel it, all except Xavier. For some inscrutable reason, the Cyn'Taak was indifferent to the changing climates, it seemed quite at home in either the sweltering swamps of the Negev or the cold bluffs of the Xaagar. Furthermore, her intellect improved by leaps and bounds throughout their journey, she was conversing with them on a regular basis and inputted her opinions on various subjects. Granted, her overall worldly knowledge was lacking and she couldn't relate to them on many levels, but that didn't stop her from trying her best to fit into the group.

"I 'hink it's gonn' be good day tomorro'." Xavier said happily, as she lumbered over to the overhang. Wherever they ended up camping for the night, she would also know just where to situate herself to help alleviate any wind. The Cyn'Taak would casually lick her finger and place it in the air to determine from which direction any gusts were blowing in from and then promptly positioned herself where she could be a formidable wind breaker, much to the appreciation of everyone else.