Chapter 9 - The Calm

Link emerged out of the barrel dripping wet with the warm water that had been placed into the container only a half hour earlier. He stepped over the side and used a horribly scratchy cloth to dry himself off as thoughts swirled like a maelstrom through his mind. He recollected everything he had seen and witnessed the previous day. He pondered what his next course of action should be. Wrapping the itchy towel around his waist, he pushed back the navy blue curtains with nice gold trimming along the bottom and stepped out onto the verandah.

The prickling morning air was strangely delightful to him as he looked out across the village with the first rays of sun striking the rooftops. The cuts along his arms and legs had screamed in release at that bath and he was feeling a million times better. He stretched relishing the cool breeze kissing his skin. Winter was definitely on the horizon. Along with the wind came a scent of smoke. He frowned as he remembered the source of it being further south, to his former home.

Slamming into his brain was his other friends: the Zoras and Gorons! He couldn't believe he had forgotten completely about them during the night. He whisked around on his heel ready to get dressed when he spotted Zelda behind him watching from the doorway. He yelped trying to cover himself up better but instead stumbling backwards towards the railing. He hit the edge and wildly groped for some hand hold before flipping over and falling from the verandah when Zelda screamed and rushed forward reaching for his foot.

She latched onto it tightly. Link was hanging upside down with one foot in Zelda's grasp, his towel happily obeying gravity much to his dismay. She dug hard into the side of the banister with her feet as she pulled back with all her strength. He struggled to lift his upper body to grab the hand rail. With some considerable effort Link flipped over the rail and on top of Zelda who landed firmly on her butt.

Link hastily rolled off of her and tried in vain to decently cover both his lower and upper body with the measly towel. "Zelda," his voice slowly coming down from a higher pitch, "a courtesy knock would have done much better! I could have been killed!"

Still winded, she continued to sit where she fell. She couldn't help but giggle, not only had she surprised Link but she caught him off his guard too! This was almost too much!

"Oh silly! I've seen baby animals being born; don't think I haven't seen that thing before!"

As this she laughed even harder. However it did no favors to Link's ego.

"I don't think comparing me to animals is exactly the same thing Zelda." Link contradicted.

Gripping his towel with white knuckles, he motioned for her to turn around. She helped herself up and with a curtsy she obligingly turned around to look upon the rest of Kakariko village. He deftly slipped passed her and into the room, he quickly snagged up his Kokiri clothing. The clothes smelled fresh and clean this morning after some nice inn worker offered to wash them during the night. He loved his green Kokiri garb. He was raised in the Lost Woods most of his life and it held special meaning to him now that Naar destroyed it.

Link's gaze flitted to the mirror on the vanity briefly as he flung on his clothes. He noticed a small smudge of what looked like dirt on his backside. He rubbed it gently but it wouldn't come off. Figuring it odd but promising himself he'd wash better next time he resumed pulling the tunic down over his head. Signaling that he was ready, he tapped Zelda on the shoulder. She turned around and appraised him.

"You look much better." She complimented.

"You do too." Link said, and he meant it too.

Zelda had changed during the night from her regal princess attire into something far more...tomboy-ish. She was wearing leather breeches that had attachable suspenders to keep them up on her lithe waist. A pale ivory peasant shirt with sleeves cut at the mid forearm adorned her torso. She had her hair done up in a bun where if viewed from certain angles, she could almost pass for a boy; a boy with brilliant, shining, golden hair.