Chapter 36 - Flight From the Dark

That one word incited Link to action. He reached up above his head placing his hands level on the ground. With one arcing motion he flipped over, knocking the breath out of Ruto as he slammed down on top of her. She coughed profusely at the sudden reversal. Link staggered slightly as he lifted himself up onto a nearby pew, keenly aware of his nakedness as Lorva looked at him with interest. Do these Gerudo think about sexual things even in the middle of battle?

Swiftly jamming his arms through the sleeves, he scampered over to Malon, quickly hefting the sword at her feet into his hand. Her eyes were staring at him but it was clear she wasn't seeing him. So lost in her own world, she couldn't focus on anything but the pain. The Cyn'Taak were still perched at the entrance to the temple, still undecided on what to do with the bounty that was placed before them. They had never encountered such a feast that so conveniently presented itself.

Ruto recovered first from the shock of beholding the creatures, she snapped at her entourage, "Quickly, aim for their eyes and mouths!" She knew just by a glance that most attempts on their leathery skin would be fruitless with their weapons.

Every assassin swiveled around releasing their arrows at the beasts. Several rebounded off the tough hides while two hit their marks, two Cyn'Taak got an arrow into the eye each. The behemoths bellowed in rage at the unexpected lethality of their prey. Within moments they were charging into the confined hall, their tails whipping around in vain attempts to strike their nimble victims.

Pandemonium broke out amongst the combatants as the Gerudo leaped up off of the Cyn'Taak and crashed swords with the garbed assassins. Each had quickly dispersed their bows in favor of swords. Link hastily signaled Zelda to assist him in dragging Malon back into the side chamber before it became impossible to do so. Zelda turned sharply before rolling behind an iron pew, the injured Cyn'Taak had missed her foot by an inch as its deadly barb scratched uselessly against the floor.

They each took one arm and began running through the hall towards the side arch. Malon's cries of pain incurred the wrath of the nearest monstrosity. Link quickly asked for help, "Aveil! The Cyn'Taak!"

Aveil swept low tripping her current opponent, causing him to fall backwards onto his rear. She quickly observed the creature surging in for the kill and nodded in confirmation. She leaped off the prone attacker as he recoiled at her weight, she continued running towards the group attempting to thwart the creature's efforts at scoring an easy meal.

Aveil's beaten adversary swiftly flipped up onto his feet, but it was too late for him. A stinging spur slammed him back to the ground, flooding him with its potent venom. The man's body began to swell profusely with bloody splotches and boils. He continued to expand until he was nothing but a globe of blood-filled abscesses. Smelling the intoxicating scent, the two nearest Cyn'Taak broke off the attack as they collided onto the hapless victim, their gnashing teeth snapping the boils as they began to guzzle him dry. His screams reverberated throughout the hall.

The Gerudo promptly ignored the dying man's mangled death throes and continued towards the beast that was advancing towards Link. Aveil deftly leaped onto the back of the creature before ducking low onto its vertebrae, holding on for dear life to the knotted mane trailing up its back. It swerved around trying to grasp at her legs as its tail irrationally struck out in random directions. Its rage was evident when it began striking itself trying to pierce Aveil. At the final puncture just inches from her face, she sliced her sword upwards through the soft tissue of the tail. The beast roared in agony as its tail flopped around uselessly, greenish blood spurting through the air.

Taking a cue from their first casualty, she quickly ripped the amputated barb from the scaly back of the Cyn'Taak. Aveil hopped off and hurled the deadly appendage at the nearest Nevachrean assassin. The man's eyes dilated in surprise as the spike pierced him directly in the heart. He crumpled over to the ground as his body began puffing into disgusting cysts. Aveil sneered in delight at her effective kill. That should keep the other two Cyn'Taak busy with their bloodlust, she thought.