Chapter two

• IRENA •

 ONE YEAR LATER

ONE YEAR LATER

"Let go of me!" I protested, my voice echoing through the hallways as I was dragged toward my future husband.

 It had been a year since Viktor's passing, and life had been anything but peaceful. Desperate to escape the fate that awaited me, I kicked and screamed as the guard hauled me down the stairs and into one of my uncle's studies.

 The impact of being thrown onto the wooden floor reverberated through my aching body. As the door was secured with a click, my heart sank. 

Trapped once again, there was no escaping what was to come. 

For the past year, I had savoured my freedom, relishing the lack of abuse and control that I had endured for so long. 

But now, history was destined to repeat itself, and I was powerless against it. As the door creaked open, my senses were heightened in anticipation of danger. 

The two figures that appeared were cloaked in black, exuding an ominous presence that made me recoil. "Time to go," the man with piercing brown eyes stated, his voice cold and unyielding. But I refused to budge, curling into myself protectively. I was not going to be taken, to be a pawn in someone else's twisted game. The two men exchanged a knowing look before closing in on me. Desperately, I scooted away from them, clutching onto the desk with every ounce of strength I had. "No! Don't touch me!" I screamed, the desperation in my voice betraying the fear coursing through me. 

But they were unfazed, seizing me by the leg and wrenching me towards them. I struggled and thrashed, flailing wildly as a last resort. The man with icy blue eyes snatched my hands, twisting my arm with ease.

 I cried out in agony, unable to hold on any longer. My limbs were seized by the invasive embrace of brown-eyed man while his blue-eyed counterpart imprisoned my arms. Panic surged through my body as they hoisted me up, defying my writhing resistance. "Let me go!" I roared in defiance, all too familiar with the suffocating terror of being touched by a man. 

The haunting memories of my past came flooding back, filling me with a lethal cocktail of scars and trauma. My abductors marched me down the corridor, their grip tightening with every laboured breath I took. As we entered one of my uncle's studies, I knew I was in deep trouble. "I said let me go!" I screamed, my body fighting like a fish in a net.

 But my struggle only served to excite them. With a swift kick, the door gave way and my body was hurled onto the unforgiving ground once again. Despite the pain, I sprang to my feet and lunged towards the door, desperate for escape. But the chilling sound of an ominous voice stopped me in my tracks.

 "Enough with this nonsense Irena!" With tears streaming down my face, I gazed down at my bare feet, feeling exposed and vulnerable. My once-perfect dark hair now tangled and covered half my face, and my makeup was ruined from the salty tears that fell freely.