AKI&AYU - MIDDLE SCHOOL:

*3 YEARS AGO*

*NIJIGASAKI MIDDLE SCHOOL*

Throughout almost all of middle school, Aki remained the same

Throughout almost all of middle school, Aki remained the same. The wall of ice he encased himself within was stronger than ever.

After class, Aki wouldn't talk to any of the other students. All except for me.

Then when he was busy, he shut himself away; focusing on his schedule. Political classes, piano lessons, English tutoring...

Most of the time, Aki didn't have a second to rest.

But when he did, I tried anything I could to help him break the ice again.

Going to the beach like old times?
Nope.

Spending time at the arcade?
Didn't work.

A relaxing picnic in the park?
He said he couldn't taste anything...

A relaxing picnic in the park?He said he couldn't taste anything

Aki was walking, talking, breathing... But it's like he wasn't living. He was empty. No light behind his eyes, and I hated seeing him suffer like that.

Like I said, he's always been stubborn. Aki hates asking for help.

Deep down inside, I knew he was screaming out for someone to save him from himself.

I'd love to say that we parted ways with Kuroda and his friends after elementary school. But no; his gang were accepted into Nijigasaki Middle School, just like us.

They had talents for boxing, and Nijigasaki saw potential in them. However, accepting them into their ranks was a huge mistake.

Aki still received beatings from them, whenever he wasn't busy with an extracurricular activity.

He always saw working as a break from the risks that relaxing gave him. If he relaxed, he would be under threat by Kuroda.

Somehow, Kuroda always knew where Aki would be. It's almost like he had eyes everywhere in the school...

Melting that five year layer of ice wasn't easy. I knew that I would have to step out of my comfort zone again.

The Middle School Prom was my opportunity.