61 ⭑ Fairies for a day.

Start from the beginning

I could hear Bella's giggling in the background. Bright and Bubbly.

"We received an invitation via bird this morning, pirate," I teased with a roll of my eyes, "I come bearing cupcakes and gifts for a... Bella?"

"That's me!"

"Let me see some identification." Niko crossed his arms.

"Okay, you're taking the game a little too seriously—back you putrid pirate! Back," Koi whipped a light up wand out from a gift bag and wacked him quick in the nuts, making him stumble back and clutch his crotch with a groan; falling to the ground.

She took my hand with an excited giggle and stuck her nose in the air, stepping over his body without a care in the world.

"Surprise!" Koi announced us before we even fully entered the room and when we rounded the entryway corner, we saw Bella waving her hands and trembling with excitement in her makeshift bed by by the window; the couch. It was draped with a pink canopy like a princess's fortress, covered in blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, and dolls. She was dressed so beautifully, fairy wings on her back, a nasal cannula to help her breathe, and a sparkly. pale green dress draped over her shoulders.

I was blown away by magic of the room around me.

There were streamers, pink and white from wall to wall, fairy lights following them, blinking and twinkling like sparkles or stars in the sky. There was a warm fire crackling in the fireplace and on top of the mantle, were so many bundles of gorgeous flowers, all with cards of love from our friends and family.

Every gory or naked poster was plastered over with photos of Niko, Harlow or Bella, and every table had been cleaned and covered with snacks, drinks, and candles that made the room smell like cinnamon and vanilla.

They'd turned their dungeon into a castle.

And to top it all off, Harlow came out of the kitchen as picture perfect as ever, a bowl of strawberries in his hand for Bella and a classic, pink-heart-printed sweater on his shoulders. His hair was wild as always, in a tangled mop over his forehead, but unlike his usual look, he wasn't wearing eyeliner, his face was clean shaven, his rings were all gone but one, and his tattoos were all covered up.

He was sporting the father look.

And he looked beautiful.

"Daddy, there's more friends!"

"I know, I-I can see that sweetheart," He stopped in his tracks by the side of the couch, staring me with with a solemn smile and tired eyes, "Hey pretty stranger..."

"Hey." I blushed, lingering in the longing look between us.

We hadn't spoke even once since this all began.

I missed him so much.

"O'my goodness, bella! You are so beautiful, I love your dress..." Koi sprang forward and dropped all of her gifts on the ground next to the couch so she could bend down and give Bella a gentle hug, "So sparkly and poofy, the way all dresses should be if you ask me. Where ever did you get such gorgeous taffeta?"

Koi was a walking Disney princess, Bella was sure to adore her.

"Harlow's my dad and he got it f'me..."

"You don't say?"

Koi's voice faded out of my ears when Harlow took several steps closer, putting the strawberries down on the coffee table to give me a hug. I set the cupcakes down with the rest of my bags and wrapped my arms around his neck, giving him a silent, long awaited hug.

"I know this isn't the right question to ask, but are you okay?" I whispered.

"I am now that you're here" He muttered, pulling back and sliding his hand down my arm, "I appreciate you doing this, Cher, coming to see us, I know it can't be easy for you. The cupcakes look good too, I'm sure she'll love them..."