The Main Event (Kieran)

Start from the beginning

"I'm glad," I grinned.

Her eyes flickered over to Suriah, something I wish she wouldn't have noticed. She eyed me with a mischievous look. Rosaline approached Suriah, taking in her looks. Suriah couldn't look up and held onto the side of my arm tighter than ever.

"And who is this lovely lady?" Rosaline asked.

"My partner," I answered with a straight face. Walk away Rosaline.

"Partner?" She questioned, "Goodness, she must be from the heavens to have been caught by your eyes!".

We all laughed. Suriah held a painful smile as her eyes wandered away until Rosaline held her free hand.

She leaned close and I swear I could feel Suriah's heartbeat.

"You're a lucky one, he's a good young man," Rosaline winked.

Suriah stared hard into Rosaline's eyes, letting the words sink in. I watched her as Rosaline smiled at her, making sure she didn't fuck anything up but, her mouth opened. Just as Suriah was going to speak, I pulled her back.

"Take care, Kieran," Rosaline grinned.

"You too, Rosa," I smiled.

We turned back around and proceeded to move further into the ballroom. I squeezed down on Suriah's hand and she tried to pull it away-I refused to let go.

I leaned down, "What did I say earlier?".

"Kieran," she whimpered, "Stop, it hurts,".

I stopped us just enough so we were fairly out of sight, "Don't cause a fucking scene,".

She flinched at me, stopping all struggle. Her wide eyes, nearly filled with tears, locked with mine. We haven't even been here for ten minutes and she's starting shit.

"What did I tell you, Suriah?" I said slowly.

"Kieran, I wasn't going to say anything," She defended, lowering her head, "I was going to say I know,".

I leaned back. Oh. I rolled my eyes, unable to contain the embarrassing smile to myself.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, "I guess my mind was playing tricks on me again,".

She smiled, reaching up to brush a few strands of hair away from my eyes, "It's okay. It happens,".

I sighed, wiggling my eyebrows at her as she giggled and locked arms with me again and walked back into the large crowd. The tension that was ready to kill all of us, disappeared between us and we gladly had our own small conversations as we roamed the hall.
Suriah giggled as I grabbed a glass of wine from one of the trays passing by.

I took a sip.

Suriah's puppy eyes burned into the side of my head, "Can I have a sip..?"

"No,"

"Please?"

"No,".

"Just a sip,".

I sighed, "Just a sip,".

Her eyes lit up and she took the glass in her hands, practically drinking the whole damn thing. I snatched it back.

"I said a sip!".

Suriah patted her lips and chuckled. I couldn't be frustrated with her if she was giggling this much over such a small thing. She's always been a sneaky liar. I rolled my eyes and gulped down the rest of the wine before placing it back on a tray.

A couple of hours went by. I was greeted more than a few times and the amount of small talk was starting to irritate both Suriah and myself. Several people asked about Suriah and several of them already heard of her and just wanted to see her for themselves. Rosaline has a big mouth. The word spread fast and everyone inside knew about Suriah.
Now, the hour of the toast was here. And I was the one in charge of this.