S.O.S.

"But the flag is a big plus!".

All around Benny, his friends, or so called, burst into a thunderous laugh, enjoying one of Dave's usual jokes that was less and less funny over the years.

Benny was slightly to the side, sitting at the bar, staring at his glass of whiskey as If it could hold all the answers to his problems. He sighed, fiddling with his glass and pursing his lips. He looked up and met the bartender's eyes, to whom he motioned to refill his glass. Yet another.

Waiting for the fresh drink, he ran a hand through his hair and looked around. He had arrived there just over an hour and the pub was full of people laughing, talking, dancing... All chaotic, a big background noise, a great feeling of emptiness.

He ran a hand over his lips and stared in front of him, barely nodding to the bartender for the new full glass.

He felt a touch on his left shoulder and turned.

"Hi, Benny".

He looked at her for a few moments and then replied "Hi, Isla" and settled back on the stool.

"I've been looking at you for a while, I thought you'd join the group... But are you anchored here instead?" Isla beamed at him, leaning on the stool beside her.

"Yes... Well, I wanted to be alone for a while" Benny replied, hinting at a tired smile.

"Well, this is certainly not the place to want to be alone, don't you think?" Isla gave a laugh.

Benny nodded "Yeah" and went back to look at his glass.

"Hey? I'm annoying you, do you want me to go? " Isla put a hand on his arm and Benny jolted, looking at her hand for a moment.

"No. Don't worry".

Isla nodded slowly "Ok. Bartender? Can I have a Mojito, please?" at the bartender's nod, Isla continued "So, would you like to tell me how are you?" she said, resting her chin on one hand and looking at him with playful eyes.

Benny looked into her eyes and then looked down again.

The relationship with Isla had grown suddenly and exponentially in the last few months. They had met thanks to mutual friendships, to a dinner here, to an evening in a club there. And over the months it was almost as If fate had wanted them to meet at every useful opportunity.

From those casual encounters, a beautiful friendship was born. He felt happy with her, it was easy to joke with her, talk to her, laugh... In the last few weeks, however, he had noticed something different about her. She was more open to physical contact, to eliminate the distances between them, to try to find a moment away from everyone to be alone.

Benny had recognized all those signals well, of course he had recognized them... Yet he had always behaved ambiguously, never completely dismissing her, without making her understand that he wasn't open to that kind of approach, which was not the case since...

He looked down at his left hand, staring at his wedding ring. He touched it with the index finger of his right hand and was unexpectedly seized by a mad desire to cry.

Perhaps he hadn't pushed her away because he didn't want to, because he had come to the point of finding comfort in an almost unknown woman, of wanting to escape from problems and not think about anything more than a glass of alcohol and a woman who wanted him.

Benny suddenly felt a hand on his thigh and soon after Isla rested her chin on his shoulder.

"Hey? You ok? You're miles away from here" Isla told him just a few inchs from his face.