Chapter 9: I Lost My Head

Yelena's P.O.V

I think that day was one of the coldest winters I had experienced in my time in New York. Yet somehow it was also one of the warmest.

The freshly fallen snow covered most of the city, while the people around where starting to set up for Christmas. The large Noble Fir tree was being pulled up, people dressed as Santa ringing a bell would be in almost every corner of the city. Kids running towards the window of a toy store and pointing at an item begging their parents to get it as a gift.

It was only the 1st of December yet it felt like the special day was drawing closer and closer the longer we walked around.

I glanced over at y/n who had on a simple black long coat. Her hands stuffed in her pockets as she looked around. On occasion she would look up at the sky open her mouth and stick out her tongue, catching a few snowflakes. I don't know what was funnier. The way she looked like a little kid jumping up and down, dancing in the snow or the way the snow covered her hair making her look like a white haired lion. When she looked at me, I pointed at the flakes all over her and instead of brushing them off her hair she just shook her head causing her hair to go flying everywhere.

Then she stopped and looked back up at me, silently asking if her hair was good. It wasn't and she knew that, but still made no attempted in fixing it.

Reaching out I combed my fingers through her hair. It was very soft, and silky smooth. I managed to fix it though it didn't take much effort.

"You seem to be enjoying yourself" I said. Y/n smiled and continued walking. I took a sip of my hot chocolate and walked right beside her. My arm brushing against hers every now in then. Thats how close I was to her, and no matter how much I tried to pull away, somehow I always found myself right by her side.

"Well it is Christmas, one of my favorite time of year" she said.

"You have Christmas in your world?" I asked. Y/n raised a brow, then slowly nodded, almost like she understood something that took her a while to figure out.

"We have Christmas, just like we have thanksgiving and New Years and other holidays. My world is the same as this one, only we have some cities that you apparently don't." she explained.

"Like which one. I've been to a lot of places."

"Well, my home city. Starling City. You don't have that anywhere in your world. But other than a few others everything is the same."

"If everything is the same, would that mean your friends are here too. Like different versions of them?"

"No" she gave me a tight lip smile. "I tried hard to track anyone I could but nothing. None of them exist. Just like none of you guys exist in my world." she shrugged.

"So what would you do around your Christmas time?"

"My dad threw a party every year and he would put a Christmas tree in every room. The whole mansion smelled like... It smelled like Christmas. My mom would always have boxes of candy canes, and Oliver and I used to race to see who'd finish first. I always won, but he claims that I always cheated."

"Is that what you'll be doing this year?" I asked curiously.

"No" she shook her head. "I'm doing the same thing I did last year. Alone in my place trying to figure out..." she stopped walking, not daring to turn back to look at me. "How to get home" she said, and somehow my heart sank horribly. No one should be alone on Christmas.

Y/n didn't say another word on the subject as we continued walking the city.

Then y/n stopped walking looking slightly behind her. She faced forward, taking my hand into hers and interlacing them together. I didn't say anything but was starting to get curious, as she picked up her pace. I was about to turn but y/n stopped me.