Chapter 3: In This Together

I couldn't stop coughing, trying to get the smoke out of my lungs. From what I could see through the smoke burning my eyes, Peter, and Yelena were on the ground, barley moving; dust and other pieces of building rubble covering us. Fire was spreading all across the living room and on other places of the apartment.

"Roll Call" I shout out, barley hearing my own voice. The ringing in my ears was so loud I felt like I had lost hearing, but it was slowly getting better. So, I repeated just to make sure. "Roll Call!"

"I'm alive" I hear Yelena breathlessly let out.

"Peter" the young boy groaned.

"I'm okay too" I said, slowly getting up. I tried to get back to my feet but that was another struggle, feeling my legs turn into jelly and making me fall once more. I see Yelena get up and walk to me.

She is limping, holding the side of her stomach, Peter still on the ground tossing and turning trying to find the right movement in order to get up. He rolls over to his stomach, using his forearms and legs to support him, slowly getting up. He was about to fall as well but Yelena caught him.

The two then walked towards me, helping me up.

"We have to get out of here and fast, the building is on fire" Peter said.

"No, really. I thought we died and went to hell" Yelena said sarcastically rolling her eyes.

"I don't think I've done anything bad that would make me go to hell" Peter said.

"Let just get out of here before the building caves in" I told the two. Now in agreement they nodded their heads, and we all walked together supporting one another. Right when we opened the door to the outside, we felt that huge blast of cold wind hit us. We ran outside gasping for fresh air.

And just like the first time, my legs gave out again causing me to fall and pulled both Peter and Yelena down with me.

Seriously, and I just paid this month's rent. Why do things always happen to me. Last week it was my low water pressure, then one leg of the table was wobbly and now this.

Trying once more, I turned around seeing the building I was once in with my friends go up in flames. Explosion coming out from one window to the next.

Boom

BOOM

BOOM

As fire burst out like a flamethrower.

"Those looks like bombs" Yelena said pointing to a window. Then the building collapsed falling like a demolition.

"That could have been us" Peter said still coughing up the smoke we breathed in not too long ago.

Quickly getting up I turn seeing a shadowy figure up on the roof, squatting down and looking at me. I jump up to my feet, Yelena tosses Peter his shooters and all three of us begin to run after the figure with a new burst of adrenaline coursing through out bodies, hoping to get to them in time and not have to chase them down.

Peter shoots his webs up into the side of a building launching himself up onto the roof where they stayed looking at me. Yelena and I look at one another running into an alley where the building was and tried to find a way up towards the roof.

Yelena climbs on top of a dumpster and ran to get some momentum before jumping high up, reaching up and grabbing onto the fire escape ladder. She pulled it down for me to take a hold of and we both began to climb up.

Peter was already trying to fight them, going one on one with hand-to-hand combat. Peter tried to shoot his webs, but they were too fast that he kept missing. And even when he did get a clean hit, his webs would dissolve not having an effect. It was almost as if their suit was made of anti-web material cause it to literally melt off.