29 : welcome to the map room

Start from the beginning

newt stared angrily at alby's back while he walked away. hayley squeezed his hand comfortingly, getting a small smile out of him. "look on the bright side," she said. "we're not in the slammer and we don't have to sleep on hard ground."

"c'mon," he lead her in the direction of the hammocks. "i'll show you where yours is."

they walked hand-in-hand all the way there. the moment his hand let go of hers, she couldn't deny she felt slightly sad. she climbed into her hammock and snuggled into the blanket. it felt amazing after spending the night in the slammer.

"i'll come find you in the morning," newt said. "don't let the grievers bite."

"i won't," she shuddered. "good night, newt. try not to have bad dreams."

his smile didn't reach his eyes. she didn't know if it was because he was thinking of the bad dreams or because he was worried about her working with gally tomorrow.

"good night, hayley."

she didn't know what to say to him, so she just watched him go.

hayley was awoken by the sound of someone walking through the grass

hayley was awoken by the sound of someone walking through the grass. she rubbed her eyes and sat up in her hammock, straining her eyes against the dark to see who it was. thomas.

she climbed out of the hammock and walked in a quick pace after him. he heard her behind him and turned around. complete shock registering on his face. she stopped walking when she was a couple steps away from him; afraid to get too close in case he didn't want her anywhere near him after what she said to him that day in the forest.

"thomas, i-"

"hayley-"

they began talking at the same time and stopped when they realized the other one was saying something. she felt her cheeks burn. thomas smiled slightly and said, "you can speak first."

"okay," she took a deep breath. "i wanted to apologize for pushing you away. i don't regret doing it, though. i just wish i did it a different way... you just wanted to be there for me, but i thought i was doing the right thing. i didn't want to put you in the position i was in. i didn't want you to be banished, which makes me frustrated because i don't know you, not really. you're just a boy i was with during the most terrifying experience of my life, yet i can't help but feel like-"

she paused and thought about newt. she cared about him and knew he cared about her, but she couldn't lie and say that she trusted him with her entire being.