081. second trial

Larissa is sitting at the map table and Athena is sitting on her lap. She's now two months old and loved even more each day by her three family members.

Athena can babble noises as her attempt to talk and she'll even react to her parents' and uncle's voices and she recognizes them. She can hold her head up for a few seconds during tummy time. If somebody gives her something small, she's able to hold it. She's somewhat able to hold her bottle, but still needs somebody to hold the end of it or else she drops it.

Athena smiles now, especially when seeing her parents or uncle. Larissa was thrilled to learn that Athena did indeed inherit Sam's dimples.

Despite Dean acting like he isn't interested in babies, Athena has a strange attachment to him, often seeking his cuddles and comfort. Larissa told him it's because since he acts like he doesn't care, Athena craves his attention more and wants him to focus on her.

Dean never turns the baby down when she does want him, just accepting the fact that he needs to hold his niece for however long.

Sam is sitting at the head of the map table and on his laptop. Dean is in the library and looking through boxes.

"What the hell is this? Spear of Destiny? What is this -- God's toothpick? You know, would it have killed these asshats to label these boxes in something other than hieroglyphics? It's ridiculous." Dean says. Neither other adult responds. "Hey. You two listening to me?"

Athena babbles at him.

"Yeah, thanks, Athy." Dean sarcastically smiles at her and seeing a smile on his face makes her smile. "The two who can talk listening?"

"Hmm? Yeah. Yeah, no, you're doing great, dude." Larissa says. Dean rolls his eyes, now aware she wasn't listening.

"Yeah. It's, uh... fascinating stuff. You should probably, uh, write it all down in your journal for the archives, you know?" Sam says, clearing his throat.

"Yeah, thanks. You guys are a lot of help." Dean remarks sarcastically. Sam coughs into a napkin. "Hey, Doc Holliday, you all right over there?"

"Uh, yeah. Um... I'm fine." Sam throws the napkin away. "Just, uh, wrong pipe." He glances at Larissa who is focused on feeding Athena, holding the bottle to the baby's mouth. Athena's tiny hands are on the bottle as she gulps down her drink until Athena takes it away so she doesn't choke.

"Well, hello." Dean flips through a magazine. "These Men of Letters weren't so boring after all. Konnichiwa. Hey, check this out." Dean walks over and stands next to where Sam is sitting.

"Dude, what is wrong with you?" Sam asks.

"What's wrong with me? You kidding me? This is a first edition, dude." Dean says. "You know what this would go for on eBay?"

"No. Why? Do you?" Sam asks.

"No. Maybe." Dean admits. "Shut up."

"Your uncle's disgusting." Larissa loudly whispers to Athena.

"I heard that." Dean says.

"Yeah, kind of the point." Larissa says.

"You find anything?" Dean asks his brother, sitting down.

"I did, yeah-- uh, dead bodies showing up all over the Midwest last week. Benton, Indiana; Downers Grove, Illinois, uh, Novi, Michigan; and then again last night in Lincoln Springs, Missouri." Sam says.

"And how is this us?" Dean asks.

"Because each of the victims had severe burns around their eyes, hands, and feet, puncture wounds through the backs of their hands, eyes, and internal organs liquefied." Sam says.