Chapter 29: PRELIMINARIES (5)

Start from the beginning

An enormous red canine was battling against a smaller yellow one.

The battle was now 2 to 1, Gary winning by a large margin. Only having used Arcanine the entire match.

"Red!" a voice called out behind Ash.

"Blue!"

"I passed! What about…"

"My last match is right after this. Congrats by the way!"

Suddenly, a concentrated beam of electric shot towards Arcanine. The attack brought everyone present to attention.

"Jolteon, [Charge Beam]!"

Gary looked annoyed by his opponent's attack.

[Charge Beam] was a move that had a chance to increase the user's Special Attack stat.

Normally, this would not be a problem for Gary, but Volkner had already used it so many times that Jolteon's Special Attack was close to max. This meant Gary was now on the clock, he had to finish the battle fast.

But the green eyes harboured no fear.

"Let's end this! Jolteon, [Agility]!" Volkner ordered.

His strategy was to build Jolteon into a heavy attacker with increased mobility. Defense was not a priority as the yellow canine would be too fast to be caught.

Jolteon danced around the battlefield, its yellow body impossible for the eye to see. Sparkles of electricity tickled Arcanine's fur as the red canine's eyes focused on the yellow one's next strike.

And it happened.

'Jolteon's speed rivals that of Flying types! Arcanine can't do anything against it!' Volkner thought in confidence.

'Release the kinetic energy Jolteon had built up!'

"[Thunderbolt]!"

From behind the red canine, a large surge of lightning came blasting at him. Its power magnified by [Charge Beam].

Boom!

A large explosion bloomed.

It looked as if it were Volkner's victory.

'Nice. Now all that's left is one mo—'

The yellow-haired teenager's thoughts were cut short as the dust settled.

Behind Jolteon… was Arcanine, who had dodged the powerful blast of lightning.

Gary gave a smirk towards the teen.

"[Extremespeed]."

Volkner widened his eyes, his mind in disarray both due to the outcome being out of his expectations as well as a move he had never heard before.

'[Extremespeed]? What is that?' he thought with a bead of sweat flowing down from his forehead.

"It… it caught up? Even against [Agility]?!" the teen cried out in disbelief.

From the stands, Misty was just as baffled as Volkner.

"[Quick Attack]?! But that isn't a move an Arcanine can learn!" the redhead stated in shock.

"Not only that, but that's also way too fast to be [Quick Attack]!"

Ash widened his eyes.

The red eyes recognized the move. He, like everyone, had not heard of [Exremespeed], but the speed that Arcanine possessed was something he had seen before.

Crimson red flickered for a second. A memory flashed before him.

'That's… the spitting image of Raticate's speed!' he thought, figuring out the resemblance.