68. The Dark Side

Start from the beginning

"I haven't seen her yet," I shook my head sensing that there was something wrong.

"So, where is she?" Cleo frowned.

That second, Cleo's phone rang and she stepped over to the other side of the room to answer it. Patrick entered the cafe.

"What's goin' on here?" he wondered noting Zane, Nate, and their friends.

"I had nothing to do with that," I assured Patrick not wanting him to get the wrong idea.

"Want me to help kick 'em out?"

"And cause a scene? Bad idea."

"Hey!" Nate hollered happily.

We turned to our shock to find Kim and her friends having made an appearance. Cleo confronted her sister about what she was doing and then approached us.

"Will just called," Cleo informed us softly, "Rikki's at the moon pool."

"I'll go get her," I nodded recalling Rikki's desire to not be fearful of the water on every full moon.

"No, Zoey. It's too dangerous."

"She's out there alone. I won't let her face it by herself."

I ran outside toward the jetty and dove into the water.

🌊

I arrived at the moon pool to find Rikki on her feet as if she were waiting for someone or something.

"Zoey? What are you doing here?" she wondered after I surfaced.

"I can't let you face the water tentacle alone," I responded as I lifted myself out of the pool, "I was scared too when it swiped me from the beach that night. So, you and I are kinda in the same boat."

"You didn't have to come all the way out here."

"I wanted to, Rikki. You're one of my best friends. If one of us faces something like this, we do it together, no matter what."

Rikki gave me a small smile as she used her heating power to dry me off.

Both of paced around the cavern as we waited for the moon to rise. I had a closer look at the wall fountain seeing it streaming normally.

The moon pool suddenly started bubbling, which told us the moon was right above us. Just as it inched slowly, the wall fountain began giving off an eerie blue glow. What looked like more water or gelatin spread all over it.

Suddenly, the wall started shooting into the moon pool. Rikki and I dodged to the side to avoid getting hit. The wall evaporated in seconds just as we turned to the pool to see the water tentacle forming.

After it was in full form, the tentacle lowered itself towards us like a giant snake at its prey.

"This is it," Rikki stated not taking her eyes off of it, "It's just you and us."

"Yeah," I nodded still keeping both eyes on the water tentacle as it appeared to be ready to target us.

Rikki raised her hand ready to use her powers on it, "What do you want from us?" she asked.

"Why these attacks?" I jumped in.

The tentacle calmed a bit and slowly inched the tip at us as if trying to tell us something. What sounded like electricity came forth as it lit up. The water tentacle gave off the vibe that it wanted either Rikki or me to touch it.

Just then, Will and Patrick arrived in the cavern and pressed their backs against the stone wall.

"What are you two doing here?" Rikki wondered.

"You, okay?" Will asked.

"I told you I don't need anyone to protect me." Rikki sounded angry.

"Wasn't gonna let either of you deal with this by yourselves," Patrick added.

"That's nice of ya Pat, but you guys should get outta here fast," I warned him just as the water tentacle began targeting the guys aggressively. 

"No!" Rikki shouted at it, "No! Stop!"

"Leave them alone!" I yelled and the tentacle turned to Rikki and me, "They did nothing wrong!"

"Do you want a mermaid? Come get me."

"Same here."

The water tentacle lowered itself calmly at us and it lit itself like a light show. It made me guess it was somehow trying to communicate with us.

It didn't last long as the moonlight moved away from the cone. With a mournful cry, the water tentacle was sucked into the moon pool. Seeing Rikki's eyes start to water, I held her hand assuring her that she wasn't alone. I was at her side.

"Rikki? Zoey?" Will asked, "Are you two okay?"

I turned to Patrick with a sad expression and back at the pool. That second, Bella surfaced.

"What happened?" she wondered in concern.

"This tentacle came up and--," Will started to explain.

"No, it's OK," Rikki shook her head and turned the other way sounding emotional, "Will and Patrick saved Zoey and me. They got here just in time, didn't you guys?"

It made me realize Rikki didn't want to tell Bella what exactly happened.

"Thanks, Will and Patrick. I knew we could count on you two," Bella smiled at them.

On the next full moon, we would find out what the tentacle had been trying to tell Rikki and me. At that point, it seemed she didn't want to say to the others what actually went on.

🌊

After getting back to the cafe, Cleo was happy that Rikki and I were alright. Zane promised Rikki that it wouldn't happen again. I figured there had been a fight between them, and she had taken off for the island because of it. Rikki told all of us that she was heading home not up to hanging around. 

Cleo and Bella tried asking me what I had seen out there. I didn't say anything wanting to keep the trust Rikki had in me after making me promise not to tell them. We weren't sure if the water tentacle tried to communicate with us. It would've sounded unbelievable to the other girls.