8. The Denman Affair

I was walking on the beach with the girls and Lewis as he brought up his latest discoveries about our transformation.

"I've been working all day, every day. And I think I'm getting close to figuring out what your transformation's all about," he explained.

"Lewis, we've kind of figured that one out for ourselves," Emma expressed.

"Yeah, for me it was the tails," Rikki nodded, "Was it the tails for you, Cleo, and Zoey, or--?"

"It was more of the first contact with water after the first time in the Moon Pool," I replied recalling the first day the girls and I became mermaids.

"Ease off on Lewis. He's trying to help," Cleo suggested.

"Exactly. Science --Science is the key that unlocks the door to the mysteries of life," he went on, "But you don't much care, do you?"

"No," Rikki responded.

"Look, guys. In the next week or so I am going to have an opportunity to--well, to-- forget it."

"Lewis, speak."

"OK."

All of us turned to him waiting for an explanation.

"There's someone arriving today. She's doing dolphin research at the marine park. Her name's Denman. She did her PhD at 21. Can you believe it?" he answered sounding like he was a huge fan of the woman, like me renting and watching any movie starring Hugh Jackman.

"I'm tingling," Rikki replied sarcastically.

 "These days she's like one of the world's leading experts in aquatic mammalian cellulite evolution. If I can tap into her research--"

"And how are you gonna get access  to a scientist like her, Lewis?" Emma asked interrupting him.

"If she's that huge, there's bound to be security to keep geeks like you out," I pointed out.

"I have my methods," Lewis replied.

"No way. You're not gonna tell a real scientist about us," Rikki demanded.

"Guys, it's me. I'll be careful," he tried assuring us and turned to her, "What do you mean, real scientist?"

"She can't know about us," Emma replied.

"What if she wants to dissect us?" Rikki asked.

"Or get DNA samples of us?" I added.

"What if she goes public on us?" Cleo wondered.

"She's a marine biologist. And she'll have equipment that makes the stuff at school seem like--like toys," Lewis went on, "If you guys want answers, I need access to it and her research."

"And how are you going to do that without spilling your guts about us?" Rikki inquired.

"I was thinking charm."

All of us resumed walking.

"No, seriously," Cleo shook her head.

"Come on, guys. All I'm asking is that you trust me," Lewis remarked.

"OK," Emma shrugged her shoulders, "We do need to know what's happened to us."

"You'll never get to see her anyway," Rikki sounded doubtful of Lewis' plan.

"Uh, yes, I will. Cleo?" he turned to her.

Cleo just shrugged having no comment.