58. Secrets and Lies

About a couple of weeks after Dad and Fiona returned from Bali, I wound up moving into the apartment with them. Even though it was enough to room three people, it felt a bit cramped compared to living with Grandma and Grandpa. Thankfully, the apartment complex was only fifteen minutes away from my grandparents. Plus, I only brought half of my room, figuring I would be going in between places until I felt grounded in one place.

Grandma and Grandpa once again assured me that Dad and Fiona wanted me to live with them. I mean, Fiona was a great person, and she knew how to make Dad happy. I was still getting to know her. Though I could tell Fiona felt the same about me.

I updated Emma on everything, from the second water tentacle to Anahita's strange riddle. I even gave her a virtual tour of my new bedroom which was smaller than the one at Grandma and Grandpa's place.

"So, how does it feel having a stepmom?" Emma wondered after I got up early before school to connect with her.

"It's a lot to adjust to," I replied, "But I know Fi makes my dad happy. And it's only been a few weeks since the wedding and honeymoon."

"Yeah, you said they went to Bali."

"Yep. They were trying to choose between that or New Zealand."

"And they went for a tropical destination."

"Too right."

Emma and her folks were in Santorini, one of the Greek islands noting the pearl white buildings and the view of the Mediterrian in the background. I had yet to inform the other girls.

"I could go for a Gyro and Mediterrian salad on the side," I grinned after Emma updated me on her current location, "I think there's a small Greek restaurant not far from here."

"You and food Zo," Emma laughed.

"Hey, it's not bad to get a kick out of a variety of cuisines from the ends of the earth."

"No, it isn't. By the way, I looked into a few local legends regarding merfolk."

Emma's voice lowered at the name as if she didn't want anyone hearing our conversation.

"Were you able to find out anything that connects with the water tentacle?" I asked.

"No mention of it. Sorry," she apologized.

"That's okay."

That second, the door knocked.

"That you Zo?" Fiona wondered. 

"Yeah, it's me," I replied turning to the door, "Just Skyping Em before school."

"Awesome! Tell her I said 'hi!'"

"Will do."

"Fi says hi," I turned back to my laptop screen. 

"She sounds nice," Emma commented.

"She is. I should get a move on."

"Okay. We'll talk again soon."

After ending the chat, I made sure I had everything in my backpack and was ready for school.

"So how was the video call?" Fiona asked as she prepared breakfast in the kitchen, which only fit two people.

"Swell," I nodded, "Em and her folks are on Santorini. And we just updated each other on life and stuff."

"That's a beautiful island in Greece. I knew some mates who went there during their backpacking trip through Europe. I've dreamed of going there someday."