12. The Siren Effect

It was karaoke day at the Juice Net. As usual, Miriam showed off on the platform. When the song ended, everyone else applauded, except for our group. Rikki and I went to Wilfred to ask him something. Rikki had entered Cleo in the karaoke contest. I was next in line after her.

I could tell Cleo was highly nervous when Rikki pushed her toward the platform.

"You're gonna regret this," Emma told Rikki.

"She'll be fine," Rikki nodded.

"How will she regret it?" I asked turning to Emma.

"You both haven't heard her sing," she replied.

Cleo tried singing but was pulled off the platform for having terrible vocal cords. When Zane booed Cleo, I used my straw and spat a spitball at his ear, and acted like I did nothing. Rikki discreetly high-fived me. It didn't matter if anyone sang well or not. The whole point of karaoke is having fun. 

"Up next, we have Zoey Shaw," Wilfred announced.

To prove my point to everyone, I went on the platform and selected 'Make It Shine' to sing. I didn't care if I had a great voice or not. I could see Cleo smiling at me as I sang out loud and danced to the beat. 

When the song ended, the entire audience applauded including Tiffany, minus Zane and Miriam.

"Wow, Zoey," Cleo commented as I returned to the table, "I didn't know you could sing well."

"It was nothin'," I shrugged.

"You rubbed it in their faces," Rikki smiled referring to Miriam and Zane.

"It doesn't matter if any of us can sing, the whole point of karaoke is just to have fun. Guess I just wanted to make a point to everyone here, especially to that jerk over there with the queen bee."

"And you did prove a point," Emma nodded at me.

🌊

The next day at work, during my break, I headed for the dolphin tank to check on Cleo. Since the karaoke contest, she felt she lacked self-confidence. I got to the dock where she fed a couple of the dolphins and started singing scales, which sounded like it could use some work. The dolphins began swimming away from Cleo's offkey tune.

"What? I'm not that bad, am I?" she asked one of them who just swam away, "Great. Even the dolphins hate me."

"Could always use some practice," I suggested, "I think there are some choir sessions at school."

"Thanks for the advice, Zoey."

Cleo sounded like she wasn't feeling any better.

"I'm sorry. I'm not sure that came out right," I apologized.

"No, I'm the one who's sorry," Cleo shook her head, "But you're right, I could use the practice."

The dolphins jumped from the water and landed with a splash. Cleo and I quickly jumped backward, thankfully not getting splashed.

"Beware," a familiar voice called out to us, one I hadn't heard for nearly a month. Though the other time I saw her was at Ida's funeral. She had given Grandma her condolences for the loss. It didn't seem like a good time to ask her about Ida's knowledge of Mako Island and the Moon Pool since none of my family knew about it.

Cleo and I turned and saw that it was the same strange elderly woman.

"Beware of what?" Cleo asked.

"What do you think?"

"I don't know. You're the one telling us to beware."

"Haven't you two learnt anything yet? What's today?"