9. Dangerous Waters

I was helping Grandma with some housework when my phone went off letting me know someone sent me a text.

"Who texted you sweetheart?" she asked.

I opened my phone and saw it was from Cleo telling me that Pluto, one of her fish died, and asked me to be at her house for the small memorial. Cleo saw fish as if they were people with their individualities. Pluto had been her favorite, which explained the distress in her message.

"It's Cleo," I answered, "One of her pet fish died. It was her favorite one."

"Oh, the poor dear," Grandma sighed sadly, "It sounds like she could use your company right now."

"Are you sure? I'm not done with the dusting. I can get it done in a jiffy."

"Go be with Cleo, Zoey. I'll look after it."

"What about your back?"

Grandma started having some issues with her lower back not long before Dad and I moved in. It's also why I've been assisting her with the fruit deliveries, gardening, and housework. She and I make it a lot of fun with music playing on the CD player and radio to pass the time, which gets stuff done faster. 

"I've got that long duster that can reach high places," Grandma replied, "I'll be fine. Tell Cleo she has my condolences."

"Will do," I nodded before heading out the door.

Both Grandma and Grandpa grew more fond of Cleo for her down-to-earth personality. When we got back from Sydney after clearing out Ida's apartment, Grandma let Cleo go through Ida's wardrobe and accessories when she learned the latter liked dressing up and even let her keep the things she liked.

🌊

I arrived at the Sertori house. Cleo had been crying from the loss when she opened the door to let me in. It reminded me of the day Mom died. I could never forget Dad's facial expression when he informed me of her death. He had been at her side when she passed away which wrecked him emotionally.

"Thank you so much for coming, Zoey," Cleo sobbed.

I immediately pulled her into a hug. Emma was already present as she gave me a small smile as if to thank me for trying to support Cleo. However, I noticed Rikki wasn't around.

"I'm so sorry, Cleo," I sighed as she pulled away slowly, "All I can say is that I know what it feels like to lose someone, a human, or a special pet."

Both girls nodded at me and led me to the backyard for the brief funeral service.

"Should we wait for Rikki?" I asked.

"She might be a while," Emma replied.

Cleo opened a small box, which had her deceased fish in it.

"Well, Pluto, I guess this is it," Cleo said, "I just wanted to say thanks. Thanks for being a great companion. A confidante. I could tell you anything. Thanks for being a great fish."

She took out the dead fish and held it over the water, "And now return to the deep." Cleo dropped it into the water with a plop and it floated.

She turned to Emma and me, "Somehow I thought he'd sink. Is it alright if we have a minute's silence?"

"Of course it is," Emma nodded encouragingly at her.

"Anything you want," I agreed.

"Hi, guys," Rikki called, "Don't start without me."

"We've already finished," Emma gave her a stern expression.

"Oh." Rikki turned to Cleo, "I got you something. Now I know it can't be easy, losing your pet, Pluto, like that. So I got you this," Rikki held up a plastic bag that had a goldfish. She didn't know Cleo only collected saltwater fish.