68. The Dark Side

It was only a few hours until it was full moon rising. The girls and I went for a quick swim and rested at the moon pool.

"I still don't think we should be here," Cleo shook her head noting our surroundings, "Full moon comes up in a couple of hours."

"Yeah, we should lock ourselves away so that water can't attack us tonight," Bella agreed with her.

"I'm sick of being scared of water," Rikki frowned.

"Yeah, me too," I nodded.

"It used to be our thing, our air. What we need is to find a way to destroy that tentacle."

"But we have no idea how," Bella stated.

"I wish Lewis was here," Cleo sighed, "At least he'd have a different perspective on all of this."

"Well, there is someone else who understands our situation."

"Will?" 

"If you wanna ask for someone's help, it should be Zane's. He's known us the longest," Rikki suggested.

"We don't want someone who's gonna risk other people's lives because of their ego," Bella pointed out.

"There's also Patrick," I spoke up, "He's been there for us on this kind of night."

"Come on, guys. There's enough room for Zane, Will, and Patrick," Cleo assured us.

🌊

The plan was to bunker at the cafe after closing time. After getting permission from Dad and Fiona that it was okay for me to go after letting them know it would be just the girls and myself, I went to the lifeguard tower just as Patrick and Sonny were finishing their shift.

"Hey, Zo," Patrick smiled, "I thought you were with the girls sealing yourselves up for the night."

"We are," I nodded, "It's at the cafe after it closes. I was wondering if you could give us a hand and keep Zane from trying to rile up Will since he thinks you're chill."

"No worries. I'll be there."

Patrick was aware of Zane's wariness of Will, especially since Rikki became more fonder and trusting with the latter since helping rescue her and me from the counterfeiting criminals who held us hostage. I assumed it was because Zane was jealous, but I didn't say it directly at either him or Rikki.

"Whatcha got goin' on tonight?" Sonny grinned at us.

"Not much," I replied thinking he overheard us since being close by.

🌊

I went back home to pack an overnight bag, mainly just my backpack and a pillow. On arriving at the cafe at the same time as Cleo, I was stunned to find Zane along with Nate and a few of their buddies hanging out while playing a card game. Rikki was nowhere in sight. Plus, she would've kicked Nate and his buddies out at once.

"Hey, ya made it!" Nate cheered on seeing us, "Come join the party!"

"What's going on?" Cleo wondered as she and I placed our things down.

"Where's Rikki?" I asked.

"Beats me. She just took off," Zane shrugged.

"Where?" Cleo inquired.

"I don't know. I figured she'd go find either the two of you, saying what a bad guy I am."

"Well, she didn't."