59. Happy Families

I was surprised when Dad suggested a camping trip to the outback. Fiona was stoked at the idea since it would be the first family vacation together as the three of us. I agreed to it at once knowing that we would be further inland and not anywhere near the water. There was no way I was letting Dad and Fiona see me in full mermaid form!

Figuring the girls had other priorities, I helped Dad and Fiona prepare for the camping trip. Fiona and I went to the grocers to stock up on camping food and to prep over a fire pit. Dad picked up our camping gear from Grandma and Grandpa's garage. Thankfully, they were all in great condition. 

Fiona and I went to the cafe after grocery shopping. We felt like having smoothies and taking them to go since we had plans to pack up for the trip. On arrival, a red-headed girl was hard at work as if she knew the place like the back of her hand. Rikki and Bella weren't in sight which I figured they were out swimming. I wondered if Zane hired extra help but forgot to tell Rikki.

When Rikki and Bella arrived, they too were surprised to see the redhead. The girls approached her in wonder and the latter introduced herself as Sophie explaining that Zane gave her the job. Noting Rikki's expression told me that she did not know of it. On seeing Zane in the booth with Nate, Rikki approached him and pulled him into the office.

Bella tried to make small talk with Sophie, who just dropped the chat claiming that she had work to do. I could tell Sophie didn't like Bella at all for some reason.

"You're pretty quiet, Zo," Fiona pointed out after ordering our drinks, "What's up?"

"Just being observant," I replied.

Bella approached our table. 

"Hey Bells," I smiled as I gestured for her to take a seat.

She explained her plan to try to work at the cafe besides being in the band. I only hoped for the best for her after getting the orders and leaving.

🌊

The following day was the start of the camping trip. Dad, Fiona, and I had woken up super early since it was a long drive to Longreach. I had let the girls know of my plans if they didn't see or hear back from me.

Fiona and I found ourselves bonding during the drive by playing a series of road trip games and putting on our favorite music. Both she and Dad took turns driving whenever either one of them needed a break. I had applied for a driver's permit a while back and both of them had been teaching me how to drive. Even though I didn't plan on owning a car, Dad felt that knowing how to drive would be a helpful thing if any of them weren't capable of driving.

We got to Longreach at the end of the day and managed to get a camping spot. When it got dark, I found myself mesmerized as the Milky Way showed itself in the night sky. 

"This is one of the best parts about coming out here," Fiona smiled on seeing the starlit sky.

"Yeah. A lot better than seeing it on a screen," I nodded wishing my camera was able to take pictures in the cover of darkness.

🌊

The rest of the camping trip was awesome. We got to explore Longreach and even visited the Qantas Founders Museum.

 Plus, we headed to Winton to visit the Dinosaur Museum and the Waltzing Matilda Centre. I remember learning the song when I was a little kid. On hearing it again, the lyrics somewhat came back to me. 

A few days later, we returned home. I found out Bella didn't get the job. She decided to stick to singing instead. Sophie still didn't like her, which got me wondering why.

Cleo informed me that her dad proposed to a woman named Sam who he had met a while back. He for sure deserved to be happy ever since the divorce and striving to fill both parental roles. I detected Cleo was nervous about accepting a stepparent into her life, kind of like how I was, especially when it came to the secret.