40

The twin doors slammed behind me, causing me to jump a little. But nothing surprised me more than the looks of the place I was in.

The marble texture and high-society air were unlike anything I'd ever seen, even in those fancy museums I used to visit during the summer. I found it so strange how a city full of otherwise crummy buildings had something this nice.

Teddy told me that this was a sacred place. A place to worship the Ancients, which both confused me, and made sense at the same time. I never considered that the Ancients were godly figures to worship in the World Strain Complex, but then again, they could change the environment of this prison any second they wanted. I guess Rivver was an exception among the species here, since she really hated them. 

Sadly, despite my praise, the holiness of this place didn't really show; it was awfully run down, with degrading paint and dust littering nearly every inch. But still, compared to everything else, and especially compared to the Undergarden, it was gorgeous.

So, it was a little saddening that this was the place Goldhood claimed as her throne. It certainly said a lot about her, and that amused me enough to make me smile. But that smile was quickly wiped off when we turned our very first corner. I just had to jinx it, didn't I?

We were in a section of the palace that had multiple diverging pathways. And, wow, let me tell you, there was such a nice table, and there was this vase on it too, not to mention that–

"...Ha. Judging by that height, you are who I think you are, right?"

I guess I couldn't play dumb any longer.

Goldhood stood opposite of us by a wall, hammer in hand. For whatever reason, her actual hood was ripped, and the marble floor beside her was smashed. But those were just little details I noted to distract myself.

Right now, Teddy and I were facing a mental, and I was about to pass out from exhaustion any second. This wasn't good.

"So... what's your name?" She asked, pointing a finger at me, "I don't think I caught it last time we met."

I pulled the dagger out of my coat pocket and got in a half-assed fighting stance. I prepared for her to charge at us, but then a tap on my shoulder broke my focus.

"Ay, mate. To our right."

I looked, seeing a gigantic exit just begging us to run right through it. So we started doing just that.

My body was obviously not in shape to be running, but the thought of getting away from this hammer-swinging maniac was enough to drown out the pain. I was a good distance behind Teddy, so he made it to the exit before me, but I gave myself the little push I needed and–

**SMASH**

"Gah!"

I had to skid to a stop, which resulted in me landing on my back and looking agape at the exit– rather, what used to be the exit.

"Ay? Lewis? Lewis!"

I could barely hear Teddy's muffled screams behind all the rubble, let alone under my rapid breathing. I felt like I'd just escaped death-- actually, I did --and my mind quickly raced to find answers as to how I was in such a situation in the first place.

And I found it the moment Goldhood's hammer descended onto the rubble blockade.

"Trying to run? Come on! You didn't even say your name!"

Goldhood landed in front of her hammer and picked it up.

"But, I guess it makes sense. After all, I'm a mental, and you aren't. It just wouldn't be a fair fight. I get it."