Rearing a conclusion.

"..."

I was stationed in front of the giant, acting like a human stop sign. I didn't have any clue of what was going to happen after my scream, but seeing as Robert has ceased motion, it looks like my idea worked.

"..."

How? How the hell did this work?

"Haha..."

"Lewis, may I ask why you are intercepting so recklessly?"

I had to compose myself before responding. The shock stalled my thoughts for a moment, but after my body slumped and let out a breath, I was able to talk again.

"W-Well, you two weren't--"

"--LEWIS! WHAT ARE YOU DOING-- C-Cah!"

My answer was interrupted by the distressed cry of Rivver behind me, which was interrupted by a horrible cough itself.

I looked back at the furry creature, seeing Rupert majestically sitting on her back. I could tell it would take a while for her coughing fit to stop, so I continued with my response to Robert.

"You guys weren't exactly, uh, cooperating, the way I wanted. Fighting just seemed unnecessary to me, so I--"

"L-Lewis! I told you to g-go, didn't I? Why are you still here!?"

Looks like I spoke a little too soon. I reluctantly looked back at Rivver, expecting her to be pissed off, but she actually looked more upset than anything. It kind of made me sad.

"I'm defusing a bad situation right now, just give me a moment!"

She seemed to be too tired to form a rebuttal. I frowned and turned back to Robert.

"What I'm trying to say is that you two fighting was pointless, so I had to stop it."

"I see. But why would you go so far to save a stranger?"

Interesting word choice.

"Eh? She's not a stranger, she's my friend. I thought her knowing my name would make that obvious."

The giant scratched his chin, recalling the times where I did in fact get my name called.

"It must have slipped my mind during the battle. Well, it's all over now."

Robert walked around me and towards Rivver, then looked at her.

"I still do not know why you chose to battle me. But, I assume you do not plan on continuing, correct? You seem to be too exhausted, and Lewis is very much against it."

Rivver grimaced at Robert.

"...F-Fine. It's a truce."

Rivver muttering those words flushed me with relief. My ridiculous plan truly ended up working, and I was proud of myself for it.

I walked over to Rivver and gave Rupert the signal to get off of her. The both of us helped her up as she eyed Robert down, and we dragged her to a nearby hill so she could rest.

"You're pretty hurt, y'know."

"..."

Once we made it, we laid her back on the hill and let her rest. I sat down beside her and let out a breath, then looked at the sky.

"...This is a pretty awkward reunion, isn't it?"

"..."

I turned my head to her, seeing that her eyes were closed, and that she was lightly breathing. Was she... sleeping?

"Uh, Rivver?"

I tapped her head a few times, but it elicited no response. She really was out like a light.

"Jesus, how tired were you?"

I heard Robert approach us, so I turned toward him. No words came from either of us, he just sat down himself in a scissor position and gazed.

"..."

I just noticed something; his hood was torn. It wasn't easy to see, but I could make out the color of the skin that was now exposed. It was the same as his hand.

I pointed at my head.

"Rivver really messed up your cloak, didn't she? Sorry about that."

"You do not need to apologize. Frankly, I should be thanking you. You saved my clothing from any more potential damage from her."

I smiled at that. At least he wasn't holding any grudges.

"Though, I must ask, what sort of relationship do you have with the Ursiuro?"

"..."

I thought about it. It wasn't really a complicated relationship or anything. Hell, it was pretty damn straightforward. Sometimes, we were just two people chatting, other times, I was an incompetent tutor while she was my student. There wasn't really any time to flesh it out as much as, say, my friends back at home.

So, in light of that--

"She's... just my friend, really. She saved my life a while back, and I tried to repay the favor by teaching her how to read and write."

"Read and write? That is quite fascinating. Most creatures in Naocus can't read or write whatsoever."

"Yeah, she told me. Also, does that blanket statement cover you as well?"

"Not exactly."