The Hobbit- The Human Thief Pt.2

"I can see you're struggling to figure me out, Oak-man." Ramona begun as she met Thorin's eyes with a grin. "And the answer is yes, to both. I am both Human and Elf. I'm a half-breed." Ramona explained as she grinned at him, trying not to laugh as he dried himself off, for the second time, that day. They had, had to climb through the toilet to get into Bard's house unseen. Ramona had simply said, she'd meet them at Bard's house, and taken off when they'd reached the gate into Lake Town.

Thorin squinted at her in annoyance, mad she'd gotten out of being covered in fish, and climbing in freezing, sewerage. Plus she was half Elf, and he didn't like Elves. Even if they did pay for travel.

"What were you doing in Mirkwood?" He continued his steely interrogation. Ramona shrugged, happy to oblige him.

"I was stealing from the King." She explained nonchalantly, as she moved to pull her nap-sack off, plonking it gently on the nearby table. The sound of clinking bottles caught the attention of all present, even Bard's children, Bard having disappeared a little while ago.

Ramona opened her nap-sack, and begun to unpack it. She lined up five, large bottles of quality Elvish wine, and the Dwarves whistled and cheered, impressed. Next she revealed the twin Elvish swords she'd fought with earlier, and their back holster and sheaths. After that she pulled the bag wide open, to reveal an assortment of Elvish foods and sweets, all wrapped up in little packages. Amongst them were a few nick-nack objects. Sliver cutlery, a few little gem stone encrusted ornaments, and the remainder of her, also stolen, money.

"Pretty good haul, hey?" She asked with a smirk, as she crossed her arms and leaned back to look at Thorin. The King scrutinised her one last time.

"Anyone who steals from that pompous arse, is okay in my books." He finally spoke as he let a small smirk play at the edges of his lips. Ramona grinned and clapped her hands together gleefully.

"Well. Help yourselves." She gestured to the food and wine, and the Dwarves quickly moved in. "Hey! Hey! Make sure the children get some too." She reprimanded the men, as Bofur grabbed a couple wrapped package's and smiled at Bard's eldest daughter. He handed Sigrid the sweets, and the children happily skipped away to feast on the fancy foods.

Ramona grabbed one of the bottles from the table, and a small wrapped package, before moving away. She sat at the far window, out of everyone's way, and peaked through the drawn curtains, watching the residents of Lake Town milling around. It had been two years since she'd last been in Lake Town, and it was not nearly long enough.

Thorin watched the half-breed brunette, as she sat quietly, curled up by the window. He had only known her these few hours, and already he deemed it odd that she was so sullen. He took an offered cup of wine, and slowly moved towards her.

Ramona unwrapped her treat, and found it was two tarts, with the shapes of stars cut into the tops. She let a soft smile tug at her lips, before it fell again. She didn't really feel like eating anymore.

"Do you mind?" Ramona glanced up to see the King Under the Mountain. She nodded and gestured to the empty floor beside her. He sat down, crossing his legs under him as he placed his biscuits in his lap, and his cup on the floor next to him. Ramona uncorked the bottle in her hand, and took a large swig. They sat in silence for a long time, there knees almost touching, neither of them noticing, quite, how close they sat. Thorin ate his biscuits, and when he finished, Ramona silently handed him her tarts. He accepted them with furrowed brows, but he'd finished them before he finally broke their silence.

"This place brings back bad memories for you." It was a statement, not a question, and Thorin knew he was right about it. Ramona tilted her head as she continued to stare through the gap in the curtains. Finally, she tore her gaze away, and shifted, pulling her legs up to her chest, resting her chin on her knees, as she hugged them close.

"I had hoped to never step foot back in this godforsaken town. And yet," She paused for a moment, but didn't move, "Here I am." Thorin worried his brow and questioned why he cared enough to even talk to her, but he also knew it was because she intreaged him. Half human, half Elf. Surely her life had not been an easy one. Perhaps she too, had no place to call home.

"If you don't mind me prying, what happened?" He asked with a softness, he'd long since thought he'd banished. Ramona glanced at him through the sides of her brown eyes, before sitting up a bit, and putting the bottle to her lips. She tipped her head back, as she took a long drink from the wine. When she finally pulled it away, and let it hang from her tanned, dirty hands, he thought she'd decided not to tell him, but she finally spoke up.

"Two years ago I was travelling through. I paid Bard a small fair for a ride in, and stayed a few nights in the Inn." She started, as she looked back up, and stared through the gap in the curtains, her mind tumbling back to a time not long ago, a time she'd greatly wish to forget.

"I met a man, and we had relations a few times before I continued on my way. I'd found out not long later, that I had fallen pregnant. I travelled to Lake Town, as a last ditch attempt to find him. As an outsider, I was asked to appear before, the Master." Ramona spat out his name like it burnt her to say it. Thorin's brows furrowed in worry. Women were treated with the utmost respect, and care amongst Dwarvish culture, and children, were miracles to be celebrated and loved.

"He took a fancy to me, and at first it was easy to ignore, as I searched the town. But when I came up empty, and had no reason to stay. The Master tried to keep me here. He invited me for a farewell dinner, the night before my leave, and despite being disgusted by him, I did not wish to anger him, so I went.

Somehow he had discovered why I was looking through Lake Town, and believed that without my unborn child, I might have more insensitive to stay." Ramona paused again, and took in a shaky breath, tears welling up in her eyes, as a few leaked out, slipping down her cheeks, in a race for the floor.

"He poisoned me. And I lost my child. When I found out what had happened, I was so angry, and I wanted him to pay, to suffer. So, while he slept, I set his house on fire, and left. Eventually I got word that he'd survived unscathed, and as angry as I was, I couldn't bring myself to come back here." Ramona snorted as she wiped her nose on the back of her sleeve, tearing her eyes from the view of the Master's mansion, sitting tall above the other houses. Thorin's heart ached for the woman beside him, and he gently placed a hand on her shoulder in comfort.

"Why would you put yourself through coming back now?" He asked softly, as Ramona tried to calm herself, reducing her tears to sniffles.

"I heard the guard's talking about you when you were locked up in Mirkwood. They said you were coming to reclaim Erebor, the home of your Forefathers. I've not had a place to call home, in a very long time. I know what it feels like to long for something just out of reach, and I could hardly be the one to sit by and do nothing." Ramona's words encouraged him deeply, and he found that he felt he could trust her now, even if she was half Elf.