Chapter 117: First Strike (3)

Start from the beginning

"So," Caesar reflected on Luxtal's words with a somber expression, "We must sacrifice our comrades to strike the enemy, and we wouldn't even be guaranteed a kill?"

Luxtal simply nodded. "Yes," he said, his voice a whisper in comparison to his bold proclamations near the start of the battle.

Caesar looked out of the bridge, watching the ships in his fleet sway and bob against the waves as they exchanged weapons fire with the enemy. Then, another brilliant idea hit him. "The sea pushing against our ships... What if we use the water to grant us a better angle?"

"You mean, flood a portion of the ship to tilt it?" Luxtal asked, caught off guard by the peculiar suggestion.

Caesar nodded.

"Well," Luxtal analyzed the plan, "It sounds crazy, but it may very well work. Men, begin flooding the starboard side!"

The Grade Atlastar tilted as water rushed into it, causing the guns on the deck to point even higher. Tension grew among the bridge crew as the ship rapidly approached its limit. Keeping track on the angle of the guns, it wasn't clear whether or not the necessary degree could be achieved until finally, water stopped flooding in.

"This is as much water as we can take in, sir!" An officer yelled out.

"Is it enough?" Luxtal asked the gunnery officer.

Much to everyone's relief, the answer was a resounding "yes". The easy part was complete; now they had to actually land a hit on a flying target that was capable of reaching speeds past 200 miles per hour. The targeting computer was more than capable of striking a lumbering naval vessel with limited avenues of movement, but to hit a fast airship that could move omnidirectionally was a different matter.

The men waited for the computer to calculate a new firing solution for their guns, biting their nails and tapping their fingers as they fidgeted. The wait for the calculations – as short as it was – seemed more arduous than it truly was, drawn out due to the barrage of gunfire coming from the saucers. Each second felt like an intense minute, but eventually they were able to lock onto the target.

As soon as the guns were ready, Caesar gave the order, "Fire!"

Nine blasts followed suit, rocking the ship as the main guns unleashed their full power. The tremendous display was so enchanting that even the most doubtful among the crew were invigorated. The shells flew toward their mark, soaring as high as the spirits of the men on board. The saucer attempted to evade the incoming projectiles, but it was too late.

—-

Pal Chimera Unit 02

"Walman, PULL BACK! RETREAT!" Meteos screamed over the private channel.

Although famous for his extreme nationalism and pride, Walman wasn't so dull as to ignore the urgency in his comrade's warning. Having placed his full trust in his allies, he complied without a second thought and set the ventral and port thrusters to max. The crew jerked along with the ship's sudden movements, losing their balance as they clung to nearby consoles or walls.

Despite this quick reaction, Walman had a gut feeling that their error was too grave to be resolved by mere evasive maneuvers. Keeping this in mind, he issued a new order, "Shields to full, brace for–!"

The Grade Atlastar's might struck the Pal Chimera in full force before he could finish his sentence. Seven shells impacted the shields, completely shattering it and sending shrapnel toward the ship itself, which ravaged the hull and wrecked numerous gun platforms along the impact zone. Blue particles ejected from the shattered shield in all directions as a result of being overwhelmed by the sheer kinetic and explosive force of the enemy shells.