46. Football

Grading my papers outside is one of my favorite things

So here I am, at a table on campus with my boyfriends. Except Aaron, though. He's out with his friends, and I can only be happy for him.

Because finally, he's making some friends here. Silas and Ezra have taken so much from him, but that doesn't stop our boy anymore. He's finally on his way to be happy, and he fucking deserves it.

"How the fuck are people this stupid?" Aiden sighs, shaking his head as he writes an F on top of the page. Micah chuckles. "I think the question is, how the fuck are people supposed to ever achieve your standards?"

Aiden shrugs, not even looking up. "Aaron did."

He's not talking about papers or grades. I smile, knowing exactly what he means. Aaron is so pure and sweet all the time. When he says something, he means it. When he does something thoughtful, it's as if it's nothing. He always senses when one of us needs hugs or more comfort than someone else.

"You know, his sister seems really sweet," Seb says. I look up from my laptop. Cock my head. "You've met her?"

He nods. Micah is listening now too, his full attention shifted. It's not like he can stay concentrated on his work anyway. Aiden is still grading, but I can tell he's paying attention.

"Yeah. She's overly excited about everything and definitely too overwhelming, but aside of that, she's pretty nice. I overheard her earlier this morning, talking to one of her friends. She was all happy she found Aaron. So no, I don't think she's here to trick him into going back."

Relief pushes away the doubts in the back of my mind. I wouldn't want Aaron to get his hopes up, only to be disappointed in humanity again.

Before I can answer, a football lands right on our table. I blink in surprise before looking behind me. Students were playing football on the field a little further, but apparently, a little too enthusiastic.

Aiden rolls his eyes. "Christ. Just learn how to play."

Micah looks around, waiting for a student to come over and collect the ball. Seb just sighs and shakes his head. "They are fucking lucky that didn't mess up my coffee."

I roll my eyes at his comment. "You only took coffee from the office because the coke was gone. Don't act like it's your favorite now." He only glares at me in response.

Finally, I hear someone running over the grass behind me. I don't look up, Micah can take care of it. The student stops next to our table, panting heavily. "Whoops! My fault, I have to work on my touchdown."

Aaron? Playing football?

With my jaw dropped, I look up to see him grinning like a mad idiot. His hands on his hips while he catches his breath. "Can I have the ball back? I promise I won't throw it away in anger again."

Micah gives him the ball, staring with an open mouth. Seb pushes it closed. "I thought you said you were going to go get milkshakes?"

Aaron laughs and takes the ball from Micah. "Oh, yeah! I'm meeting them at 4. It's just that Brad wanted to play some football, so I'm staying here until, like, three thirty? I don't want to show up all sweaty, but this is way more fun that it looks!"

I watch him talk and get excited over meeting up with his new friends. He's, surprisingly, not anxious or nervous. I don't know how I should feel about that.

Because of course I want him to meet up. But he's said so himself: he needs time after socializing. And flying from friend group to another friend group? That doesn't sound like taking time for himself.

"Hey, Aaron! You want to continue?" some guy calls from the field. Aaron looks up and nods, laughing and sticking his thumb up in the air. He looks at us, beaming. "Bye! Aiden's at seven tonight, right?"

Aiden can only nod in confusion before Aaron takes off. The four of us look at each other the second he's gone. "I do not like this."

Micah sighs and drags a hand over his face. "Look. It's absolutely great he's making friends. I love that for him. I really do. But it looks like he's trying to satisfy everyone, and that's not ideal."

I agree with him. It seems like Aaron feels like he should be friends with everyone. Which is not the case.

"We'll see how he feels after today. Who knows, it might work. The important thing is that he's happy," Seb brings in. Aiden frowns. "But—"

"No. You can't expect him to give all his attention to us. He needs friends. He needs affection from others too. Or he'll start doubting himself again. Is that what you want? Back to him calling himself a fag again?"

Aiden is scowling again. "Of course not. But I really think—"

"So, subject closed," Seb nods and gets back to his work. Aiden glares at him, raises his hands in frustration. "I'm just saying, and don't interrupt me, that we have to stay ready in case he calls. Without judgement. He's only trying."

Well yeah. Of course.

Micah frowns, "Did I ever say I wasn't going to run the second I feel like he needs help? Hell, I'll be there before he dares to call."

The three of us look at Seb, who hums a song. When he realizes our gazes, he looks up. Shrugs. "What? If I could, I would be his bodyguard. Don't act like I'm not overprotective."

Aiden widens his eyes. "Fuck! I completely forgot to tell you! There'll be a case. Ezra and Silas against Aaron. Stansley is rich enough to demand it, even if there is enough evidence to lock them up immediately."

My jaw drops. "What?!"

Micah looks ready to throw a tantrum. "Are you shitting me? How are we supposed to protect him if they let them be in the same room as him? What the actual fuck?"

Seb grabs his arm and pulls him down on the bench again. "Look at the bright side. No one on their right mind would give them their right. They'll be locked up, no matter what."

Still, I do not like this.

A/N If there any questions about what I earlier posted as an announcement: *I* am okay, physically. I've already told you my mom is not okay. She's sick, and it's hard for me to explain. This is pretty much it: things have developed worse than we'd expected, and we're scared.