35. Cliff hanger

*DOUBLE UPDATE - READ 34 FIRST*

A surprise stop at the Grand Canyon? Has Stansley gone crazy or some shit?

I am so tensed right now.

Four-hundred kids too fucking close to the edge of this cliff. It's asking for something to go wrong. 

Luckily, they're all smart enough to not go stand on the edge. My eyes linger every few seconds on Aaron, who's nodding along with the music in his earbuds and filling in the questions about the Grand canyon. 

He's—surprisingly—the only one. Girls are taking pictures with each rock and guys are throwing sticks as far as they can.

I go on, seeing Seb in an argument with a guy and a girl with smeared lipstick. On the other side of Aaron is Ada, glaring at Ezra and Silas. 

Aiden is rolling his eyes and scrolling on his phone. 

Aaron looks up, frowning, and seems to be confused about something. I'd love to kiss that frown away right now, but I can't. Not here, not now. I hate it.

He stands up and walks over to Ada. Her shoulders ease a little as she turns to him. Aaron has always been able to turn that tight-lipped smile of hers in a relaxed one. He's got that effect on everyone who'd listen to him for ten minutes.

It won't go in my head that he doesn't get that. That he doesn't know he deserves the whole world. But he fucking does. He's so sweet, so kind, and yet there are people who can't look past something small.

Those people like Ezra or Silas, who are scrunching their nose at him right now. Luckily, my boy doesn't see it and just giggles at something Ada said. Ah man, I love that soft giggle.

They part, and Aaron is back humming to his song. I see Seb shaking his head and walking away from the couple. 

Ada is back to Ezra and Silas, her eyes furious. I think I should go help. I walk over to them, but before I get by, Ezra and Silas are stalking away in a bad mood.

"What was that about?" I ask Ada, glancing once more at their backs before I turn to her. She huffs. "They want Aaron to move into their dorm, but I told them that wasn't going to happen. I mean, look at that cute face. Would you let something happen to that?" she muses.

I smile, look back to our boy. He's sitting back on his rock, watching the whole canyon. I love that he's interested in this, and actually enjoying the nature. Everyone around him is taking pictures to look at later, but he's the moment itself.

My smile drops when I see who's headed to him, fuming due to their conversation with Ada. I realize it too late.

I run towards them, but they've already yanked Aaron up. Silas pushes him backward and in that terrible moment, everything goes wrong.

I'm too late, too fucking late. 

Ezra helps Silas and pulls one of Aaron's legs from under him.