𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈. 𝐦𝐚𝐣𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜 𝐩𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐥𝐞

Mulai dari awal

I decided to go along with it, and given that I was late, it took my mind off of my borderline inappropriate attire and made me focus on getting to the ceremony on time.

The ceremony had almost begun when I arrived at the central courtyard. Everyone was already seated, waiting for Vittoria. Coincidentally, we entered the ceremony simultaneously, just from different courtyard ends. Our eyes instantly locked with each other. I expected her to frown at my inappropriate attire or look surprised at my audacity to wear something so inflaming, but Vittoria had none of those reactions.

She was the one who surprised me as her eyes wept from my head to toe with a sly smile gently tugging a corner of her lips up. She had her distinctive knowing look on her face that annoyed and terrified me simultaneously.

It reminded me of our exchange last night. It was unsettling. I could help but feel like I had stepped into another one of her traps. Maybe I was nothing but a mere pawn in her game at the end of the day.

She addressed the assembled priestesses while I did my best to stand at the very back, attracting no attention to myself yet. No one other than Vittoria had seen me since I was the last to enter and wait at the back of the courtyard, almost hiding in the shadows of the massive stone pillars. Everyone was paying attention to what Vittoria was saying while I wondered what Vittoria had in store for me.

After addressing the priestesses, the ceremony eventually began. The Matriarch called the names of the girls who had passed the test. They walked up to Vittoria before being blessed by her. I waited for my name, but I had a feeling that I was going to be the last one to be called.

Almost all the other girls who were in training with me passed. As the list of names went on, some doubts started to creep in until my name was called. I was still in the shadows, watching the ceremony without having anyone see me until then.

I stepped out of the shadow and headed towards the front of the courtyard in my blazing majestic purple cape, feeling all the eyes in the shrine burning on my skin. I might have heard several gasps. I didn't look at anyone as I walked down the aisle. My eyes were only on Vittoria, but I could still imagine many shocked looks on everyone's faces, even the Matriarch.

At this point, most of them were more shocked by my dress than the fact that I had managed to pass the tests and get the title despite my consistent poor performance. Vittoria and I were the only ones to not look suspired at my outrageous outfit or the fact that I had managed to qualify.

"Theresa, my dear," Vittoria purred when I got to the front. The senior priestesses looked at me with disapproval, but Vittoria didn't care. "The purple suits you," She commented.

"Thanks, I'm flattered," I replied coldly, making her smile wider.

"I'm glad you like it," she chuckled, reaching for the scroll from the Matriarch, who was still shocked to see me in that dress. "You should wear it more,"

"I'm starting to think you like to see me break the rules," I commented as she blessed me with her scythe. I couldn't help but shiver, thinking of how she was trying to kill me with the same scythe last evening. She must have noticed my uneasiness because something devilish flickered in her eyes.

"It's the only thing you're good at," she smiled. I snatched the scroll from her and walked back to where I had been waiting. Meanwhile, Vittoria's laughter echoed in the quiet courtyard while everyone was stunned.

~

"You looked amazing in that dress!" Nuncia told me after she found me in my room after the ceremony. I didn't waste a minute and returned to my room after receiving my title. I felt more stupid the longer I kept the cape on.