Chapter 19

Joy sat at a table in a fancy restaurant. Tiered chandeliers daintily hung from the ceiling and the chairs and tables were carved from a rich Mahogany . Joy wore a black dress with shiny sequins that ran along the neckline as well as down the sides. She sipped ice water out of a tall glass as Jae looking handsome, donning a fine suit approached her from behind and placed his hands on her shoulders.

"am i late?" he asked gently. Joy turned to see him smiling brightly at her.

"yes Jae, you are late." Joy smiled back. Jae sat across from her, joining her at the table.

"sorry, i had to finish up some reports before i could leave the precinct. Thank you as well, for the invitation to dinner. it was very, unexpected." Jae said.

"don't mention it. it was you who gave me the heads up on the bounty that got me paid after all." Joy had a satisfied smirk on her face.

"had i known at the time the parts they were looking for were from such a dangerous area, i most likely wouldn't have told you." Jae laughed.

"oh Jae, always looking out for me. how sweet... but I mean it was obvious From the description wasn't it? Where else can you find the tech they needed if not Chroma." Joy said playfully waving her hand at him.

"Hey, You do know a lot of the stuff we use is built from recycled chroma parts right? You could have just I don't know found a warehouse or something." Jae shrugged.

"Officer, are you telling me I should have STOLEN the parts instead of finding them legally?" Joy gasped playfully.

"Stop acting like you've never cut a corner while chasing bounties. so, how did your little expedition into desert go?" He asked.

"well. i take it you mean aside from the part where it made me and my crew LOADS of credits, it wasn't that bad. there were some close calls but nothing i couldn't handle." Joy said with confidence.

"Yeah, I can imagine. Since our new friends from the north came, their demand for the technology from chroma has seen its value increase like 4 times it's normal value. Did you happen to see any Grand personnel out there?"

"the nation of Grand are just blow-hards and are all talk. they dont go out there themselves, thats why they hire people like me to do it. I heard a bunch of slack jawed farm hands managed to push them out of their town AND sabotage an airship." Joy said taking another sip of water.

"Yeah, I heard the news about that too and it's true, I guess they wouldn't use their own resources or risk losses when they  could hire expendable locals." Jae agreed.

A waiter came to see about there order.

"good evening, can i take your orders or do we need more time?" the waiter asked graciously. Joy was ready, ordering with no hesitation

"Im so ready, thank you. May I please have a steak, well done. with.... a side salad and mashed potatoes... oh and can you also throw in a lobster tail?" Joy asked politely 

 "Of course ma'am, and for you sir?" the waiter turned his attention to Jae.

"you know, ill have the same thing." Jae said handing his menu back to the waiter.
"i mean you're paying so why not?" he laughed at Joy.

"Excellent choices. I will have that right out for you. Excuse me." The waiter told them as he went to handle their orders.

"so, whats Chroma like? Jae asked her curiously

"Well, the desert is.. what you'd expect it to be. Too hot, too dry, and sand that manages to find a way into everything. Oh yeah and the occasional droid that wants to melt you with its laser beams." Joy made it sound rather dull.