Chapter 4

Yeri happily skipped home from school one afternoon. She opened the front door to see all the lights off and all the curtains closed.

"Lazy Wendy sleeping all day again." She huffed under her breath as she threw her bag down.

As her bag hit the floor, the lights came on and the curtains sprung open.

"SURPRISE!!" A volley of voices shouted startling her.

Wendy, Roadie, Kato, Bart, Dingo and Eric all revealed themselves from their hiding spots.

"You scared me!" She said happy but also shaken. " why do I get a party it isn't even my birthday"

" it's been 7 months since we found you outside Chroma. So we decided to do something for you." Roadie said.

"And believe it or not it was Dingos idea. The crazy fool has a heart after all." Bart laughed.

"Well what did you think was ticking in my chest? A bomb?" Dingo cackled.

"Yes, but behind that bomb is a heart of gold." Bart laughed harder.

The group all gathered and celebrated in Wendy's kitchen.

Wendy approached Kato as he was grabbing a beverage from the fridge.

"How's it going?" She asked.

"Pretty good actually. How have you two been" he asked popping the drink open and offering it to Wendy.

"We're good too. I couldn't help but notice Billy isn't here." Wendy said taking the can from Kato.

"Yea he's been putting some distance between Roadie and I. Mostly Roadie." Kato smirked grabbing another drink. "You see we kinda ruffled the feathers of one of Billy's connections on a recent outing. To be fair though the connect was a bit of a jerk.. he had it coming. Billy just needs to blow off some steam." 

"Tell him next time he stops in I will make it worth his while" she winked.

"Will do little lady." Kato said as the clinked their cans together. Roadie came to join them.

"So, I guess this is the new improved better role model Road Dog?" Wendy snickered.

"What are you going on about now?" Road dog glared. Kato shrugged staying out of it.

"Well, Yeri might have mentioned some doubts you had about your status as a role model. Like you're this bad influence yet here you are with all you're bad influence friends." Wendy giggled.

" yea I guess I was having a moral dilemma. Just worried a bit. She's been through a lot... now she has a chance at a normal life. I didn't want her exposed to any negative juju I might be caught up in." Roadie admitted.

"I get it." Wendy nodded. "Don't worry though. We all know you're a good guy. It's admirable you want to look out for her like that. She's lucky to have found a friend like you."

"Nah, I'm lucky to found her." He said 

"Looks like she isn't having trouble finding new friends either." Kato pointed out Yeri and Eric talking and laughing together across the room."how do you feel about that"

"They're about the same age, makes sense they'd connect. Probably tired of hearing us babble on all the time. It's good for them to have someone they can relate to." Roadie nodded.

Kato looked skeptical.

"But I'll keep an eye on them. The kids a bit of a wild one." Roadie said with a chuckle.

"Which one?" Wendy laughed.

"How long are you gonna procrastinate? Go and give it to her already" Kato nudged him.