𝔗𝔥𝔞𝔱'𝔰 𝔚𝔥𝔶 𝔜𝔬𝔲 𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢 𝔐𝔢

I stand in front of the mirror in my cabin, Sophie repositions the lavender sash on my white afternoon dress. I look like a giant doily.

"Now yer hat, miss." Sophie holds up a wide-brimmed white hat trimmed with lavender flowers.

"Are you sure I need it?" I ask, eyeing the hat like it's a foreign object.

Sophie smiles, and the freckles on her cheeks rise. "Unless ya want ta get sunburned while yer walkin' round the promenade deck?"

"I can handle a little sunburn."

"And get me in trouble? Not likely." She places the hat on my head without hesitation and pins it in place. A sheer veil drops over my eyes.

"Done?"

"Just yer parasol and ya can be on yer way." She holds out a frilly umbrella.

"I'm sorry, Sophie, but I have to draw the line somewhere. There are only so many accessories a person can wear, and that thing pushes me over the edge."

Sophie puts her hand on her hip. "Never in me life have I come across a lady that dislikes getting dressed as much as you do."

"That's why you love me." I smile at her and head for the door. "You coming?"

She sighs and puts down the parasol.

We walk side by side through the hallway and out onto the deck. The sun is shining, there's a cool salty breeze, and everything sparkles—the water, the people, the mood.

"Enjoying the afternoon, niece?" Uncle Hajoon asks, and I turn. His black hat shields his eyes from the bright sun. Hammad is with him, walking by his side.

"Very much so."

"Good. Good. I am off to join Mr. Lam for lunch. I would invite you, but as I understand it, you have quite the social engagement." He smiles at me in such a kind way that I actually feel warmer.

This ship really is lovely, especially today. "Yes, of course. Please send Mr. Lam my regards."

My uncle bows. "Right-o. See you this evening."

I scan the deck, which is filled with finely m dressed men and women. There is an empty bench a ways down with a good view of the water.

I turn to Sophie. "So what's this social engagement he was talking about?"

"Yer uncle arranged fer ya ta have lunch with Madeleine Astor at Café Pari. She's only a couple a years older than ya. Lucile Chanel, Glenda Ashton . . . oh, and the Countess of Dior. There are a few others, too. I'm sure ya will enjoy yerself. They are absolutely the who's who of the ship."

I laugh and do my best English accent a Korean can do. "Lots of tea sipping and 'Oh, isn't that dress darling. And this hat, I just couldn't live without it. It simply matches everything."

Sophie almost laughs, but catches herself. "Yer just terrible."

We arrive at the bench at the same time as a middle-aged man with a black mustache.

"Pardon me, miss," he says in a thick Spanish accent, and bows.

"Suzy Bae," I say.

"Manuel Delgado," he says.

"Are you taking a trip to New York?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "Mexico City. I am quite looking forward to seeing my beautiful wife and our seven children. I've been gone for nearly two months."

"You were visiting Europe, then?"

"Visiting old friends in France. I was actually scheduled to take another ship altogether, but a friend of mine persuaded me to trade tickets with him. Please take the bench, Miss Bae," Manuel says, looking from Sophie to me. "I will find another one."