𝔄𝔣𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔥𝔞𝔫𝔤𝔦𝔫𝔤

I'm the last one in homeroom. I slide into my desk beside Seulgi just as the bell rings. Seulgi, Hyeri, and Wendy sit in a row, all wearing their trademark gothic-chic clothes. I wear black, too, but more casual than their high fashion. Plus, they have that whole powerful, mysterious vibe that makes you want to compulsively steal glances at them. Maybe it's because they're descended from the accused Manyeo witches and I'm descended from the stodgy moralist minister, Bae Changbin, who hanged them.

Seulgi flashes me a smile and places her slender, black-nail-polished fingers over mine. When she pulls her hand away, there's a small note tucked under my palm. I don't know where this girl gets her stealth, but I'm definitely jealous.

Mrs. Huang clears her throat. "Quiet for the morning announcement, please." She pauses until everyone settles. "It's April fourth and two weeks until the Spring Fling. The student council has tallied the votes for this year's theme and is ready to officially announce it." She squints at one of the well-manicured girls in the back of the room. "Jennie, if you'll do the honors."

Excited whispers fill the room. I've never seen people campaign as viciously as they did for the themes of this dance. For the past week the Masquerade Ball and the Enchanted Forest supporters have been practically fist-fighting in the halls. But then again, costume parties are to Manyeo what Christmas is to the North Pole. I'm desperately hoping the Enchanted Forest doesn't win, though. The attention I got right after the whole hanging-in-the-woods ordeal was overwhelming. I'm pretty sure a forest theme would only bring up the topic again.

The Lineages haven't really said anything specific about what happened, claiming shock and confusion. But the basic details about a mysterious woman trying to kill us all spread through the town faster than I could have imagined. And the only thing that doesn't seem to die in Manyeo is gossip. The police are still searching for her; little do they know the crow woman was my stepmother, and she's dead.

Everyone turns to look at Jennie, who's taking her sweet time sauntering to the front of the class. She leaves a scent trail of vanilla and hair spray, and her outfit suggests she just stepped out of the pages of a Chanel catalog.

"I'm thrilled to share this with you all." Jennie flicks her blown-out waves over her shoulder and scans the room. "While there were very strong themes this year, one stood out above the rest and got an almost unanimous vote."

"It was yours, wasn't it?" Wendy says. "The idea that won."

Jennie's smile grows and she looks coy. "We're not supposed to reveal who came up with what theme, Wendy. Buuut, I wasn't opposed to the idea."

"Uh-huh," Wendy says. "Well, good thing you're so subtle, then."

I cough out a laugh, and Mrs. Huang gives Wendy a warning look. Now that I'm not fighting with the Lineages, I can appreciate Wendy's dry humor. No one's exempt from her scorn.

"Let's just say I'm excited to announce that the theme of this year's dance will be . . ." Jennie pauses for dramatic effect. "The Titanic!"

The room explodes with objections. Everyone starts yelling at once. The tension leaves my shoulders. Phew.

"You're joking," Hyeri says. "The Cruise line wasn't even in the running."

"Democracy's dead," Wendy says. "The dictatorship of Jennie and the fluff-ettes is now a disturbing reality."

"Shush," Mrs. Huang says to the class. "We'll have none of that. Absolutely none."

Jennie doesn't react. In fact, she looks increasingly smug.

"There's more. Since the dance committee supervisor is also the head of the history department, the other history teachers have agreed to rearrange their lesson plans and teach significant boat history—a Titanic curriculum for the next two weeks. Plus, the outfits are gonna be amazing." Blair squeals with excitement and heads toward her desk.