ℑ'𝔳𝔢 𝔗𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔭𝔢𝔡 𝔐𝔶𝔰𝔢𝔩𝔣

Wendy screeches to a stop in front of my house. "Figure we'll be back here in an hour or so, once these two get their stuff together. Hyeri is the slowest packer of all time."

Hyeri rolls her eyes.

Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" Seulgi asks.

"Yeah, I wanna talk to Mrs. Oh before dinner," I say.

"Just . . . don't do anything magical without us," Hyeri says.

I get out of the Jeep. "Don't worry. I'm not going near anything Titanic-related until you get back."

Wendy lifts her eyebrow. "You say that, and then you try on a dress and touch a painting, a letter, and who the hell knows what else."

"Be careful, Wendy, or your face will get stuck in that scowl," Hyeri says.

"Are you really saying that right now? What are you, five?" Wendy says.

"Scared you, didn't I? You're relaxing your mouth." Hyeri points at Wendy's lips. "Right . . . there."

Wendy bats Hyeri's finger away. "You seriously need to work on your personality. "It's embarrassing," Wendy says, but her eyes smile.

Wendy pulls away from the curb. One look at Mrs. Oh's empty driveway and I turn on my heels and head toward town.

Potted plants are just starting to appear on porches, and there is a new energy to the air. The streets are buzzing with people.

At the rate I'm walking, I reach Sugar Spells Bakery before I've sorted out my strategy. Mrs. Oh is in the window, crafting an elaborate forest of flowering trees and wood spirits out of sweets. I pull the door open and bells chime. The scents of melted chocolate and warm pastry dough waft toward me.

"Sooji!" Mrs. Oh says. "What a lovely surprise." She steps away from the window and grabs her hands on a floral tea towel.

"Do you have a minute to chat?"

"Always." She uses sign language to talk to Hongju, the tall middle-aged woman behind the counter, and leads me to the only empty table.

Her café looks exactly like the inside of a thatched fairytale cottage in the woods inhabited by a happy witch who can't stop baking. Old glass lanterns and bundles of dried flowers hang from the ceiling. The walls are covered with arched shelves filled with worn books and twine-wrapped bottles of spices. And there's an occasional crooked broom hiding