12

Katherine was sat on her couch staring at the blank wall when she heard a knock on the door.

When she opened it she saw her father standing there.

"Dad?" Katherine asked as she met him in.

"I've been permanently banned from the navy." Maverick started pacing Katherine's living room.

"What?" Katherine asked, "how could they do that?"

"Because- they said all I taught you guys was that this mission is unflyable." Maverick sighed.

"Well then prove them wrong." Katherine was quick with her responses.

"How?" Maverick stopped pacing.

"Show them it's flyable." Katherine shrugged.

"I dont have access to the planes..." maverick scratched his chin.

"I can help you. I'll distract them, I can get you a pass-" Katherine started but maverick cut her off, "No. you are not risking your place for me."

"I can just make a scene and distract them. I'll get Phoenix in on it too. Please, let me help." Katherine begged.

"Fine, but I'm the only one flying, and if they ask just say it was my brilliant idea." Maverick grinned.

Katherine scoffed at her father as they quickly started planning what to do.

.________.

"Captian Mitchell is no longer your instructor, and as of today there are new mission parameters." Admiral beau told the class.

Katherine was fidgeting in her seat, all had to go to plan.

"Time to target is now four minutes, you'll be entering the valley at reduced speed, not to exceed 420 knots." Admiral beau's hilarious instructions made the class scoff.

"Sir, won't we be giving their planes time to intercept?" Bob asked.

"Well lieutenant you have a fight chance against enemy aircraft. The odds of surviving a head-on collision with the mountain is zero." Admiral Beau crossed his arms.

Phoenix looked to Katherine, she nodded as her signal.

"You'll be attacking the target from a higher altitude, level with the north wall, this will avoid the high-G climb." Admiral Beau said.

Katherine started sneezing loudly.

"You alright lieutenant?" Admiral Beau asked.

"I just need a tissue." Katherine stood up and walked to the sanitary box next to the door.

She grabbed a few tissues and stepped outside, she blew her nose to make it seem more realistic. When she stepped back inside she made sure to lock the door.

Once she sat back down everyone questionably watched the monitor, it showed that a plane labeled 'F-18 Single' was flying the course.

Phoenix grinned at Katherine.

Admiral beau turned around to look at the monitor, he was just as confused as the aviators. "Who the hell is that?"