Chapter 116: First Strike (2)

Start from the beginning

The four missiles zoomed past flying shells and falling planes, seamlessly breaching the Gra Valkans' defenses as they slammed into four enemy battleships. With characteristic blue explosions, the battleships were sentenced to watery deaths. Chaos reigned as nearby ships and their crews were damaged by shrapnel, heat, and expanding pressure waves. Much like the Comet strike unleashed by the Mirishials, these missiles snapped their targets' hulls. Because of their armor, the battleships weren't completely obliterated and instead began to sink slowly, flooding in the gaping holes left by the missiles.

Shocked with the results, Horner's mouth dropped. "No wonder Dr. Holden bought so much Raytheon stock..." he muttered.

"Must be a really smart man," Woods commented.

"Of course, you didn't hear that from me," Horner smiled.

Woods gave a smirk, "Hear what?"

"Exactly," Horner said. "Let's test Lockheed's missile now."

Two M142 HIMARS and one M270 MLRS revealed their weapons, launching a total of eight missiles toward the sea. The sleeker Precision Strike Missiles popped out of their pods, releasing bursts of blue flame as they accelerated to supersonic speeds in record-breaking time. Guided by GPS and further aided by American drones loitering above the battlefield, they locked on to their targets at the far back of the Gra Valkan fleet, reducing eight carriers to smithereens before their anti-air defense network could even react to the threat.

Horner jotted something down on his phone, giving an impressed nod at the results. After he finished writing notes on the performance of the various land-based anti-ship missiles, he looked up toward his companion. "You know, Jayce, I think Lockheed might be a better investment. Raytheon's already gone up since the new orders were publicized, but the orders for the Precision Strike Missiles haven't been made yet."

"Oh?" Woods raised an eyebrow. "Looks like I'll get to buy up all the estates those Lourian nobles left behind. Castle party when we get back?"

"Castle party when we get back," Horner nodded.

—-

GVS Grade Atlastar

Caesar looked out of the bridge's windows, watching a group of planes in the distance. His attention was so focused that he completely ignored the intense shaking of the ship as it suffered three direct hits from the Cosmo's laser-like lances. Even the bloody rain of eviscerated wyverns didn't faze him, despite the copious amounts of crimson that splattered the front turret and parts of the windows.

His only focus was the Antares Kaiser strike unit. The three squadrons – guarded by dozens more friendly interceptors – easily slipped past the inferior enemy aircraft. Wyverns, biplanes, and even some of the advanced-looking Mirishial jets fell from the sky one after another as they were swatted down by expert Antares pilots. Before long, only a few peculiar species of wyvern – or perhaps a dragon, Caesar wondered – and Mirishial Alpha-3's remained in the air. They managed to outmaneuver and outgun some of the Antares interceptors, but were ultimately annihilated by the numerical advantage of the Gra Valkan aircraft.

Not a single Antares Kaiser was shot down, but Caesar couldn't say the same for the aircraft above the enemy fleet, which were now being downed in rapid succession by blue bullets from the Pal Chimerae units. It was a lopsided battle, akin to pitting Antares fighters against wyverns. The latest and most advanced Gra Valkan naval fighters drew closer to their target until finally, the Pal Chimerae turned their weapons on them.

—-

Pal Chimera Unit 01

Advanced holographic screens filled the central bridge of the circular mothership, which was bathed in cool white luminescence by magic lighting. The near-inaudible hum of high-speed magical chanting ran in the background while soft pulses from the firing of magic blasters echoed throughout the bridge. Unlike the ships down below, Commander Meteos' bridge was spacious and was even equipped with luxurious seating and air conditioning.