Chapter 77: Growing up

The baby has been in the hospital for a month. Lia and Andrew have been taking turns watching over her. She was better and looking curiously at her surroundings. She was mostly doing fine, but she had a rough time separating from Lia. After she found her, she imprinted on her and cries every time she leaves the room. Lia was no better and hated leaving her unless it was with Andrew. The social worker had been watching them, while looking for someone to foster her. Lia and Andrew were dreading the day they would be informed that someone would be fostering the baby girl so they tried to spend as much time as they could with her.

It was Thursday afternoon, Lia had a shift in the hospital, but she was on her lunch break. While in her lunch break, she went to check up on the baby and saw the social worker, Elizabeth, with two parents. The baby did not seem happy and as Lia was about to leave the baby began crying. Lia'a ears were alerted at the sound and she turned around to see the baby reaching out for her. Lia smiled awkwardly and headed into the room. The lady who was interested in fostering was trying to calm her down but she couldn't. When the lady realized the baby was reaching towards Lia she passed her the baby. The baby instantly stopped crying and pressed her head into her shoulder. Lia sighed and said "Where's her blue binky?" Elizabeth immediately found it and passed it to her asking "Why the blue one and not pink?" Lia simply answered "She likes blue, she doesn't like the pink one for some reason." Elizabeth nodded and Lia said "I am so sorry... I've interrupted your appointment...." The lady said "Nonsense.... The baby should be happy I wouldn't want her to be sad..." Lia nodded and when she looked down the baby girl had fallen asleep. She carefully began placing her in the hospital crib so she wouldn't wake her. After placing her, Lia said "Again so sorry.... She's asleep so she won't cry for now...." Lia immediately left the room leaving the three of them to talk.

After leaving the room, Lia went to the tunnels where Amy was sitting down. Lia sat down next to her and Amy said "God this day has been so tiring...." Lia looked at her and said "You're carrying a baby in our uterus of course it's going to be tiring..." Amy looked at Lia and said "Nick told you?" She nodded and said "Yeah he did.. he's really excited to be a dad." Amy smiled and said "To think he was just a manwhore when he began working here sleeping with everything that could walk to—" Lia finished her sentence saying "A committed husband to you and excited for the baby...." Amy and Lia smiled at one another and she continued saying "He's going to be a good father Amy I can feel it..." Amy smiled and said "How's the baby girl you found in the side of the road?" Lia sighed and said "I fucked up.... The social worker was interviewing a couple to foster her and I did not know so I went to see her. When I saw she was interviewing I tried to leave quickly but the baby saw me. She immediately began to cry wanting me to take her and I couldn't bare to hear her cry so I went in and took her from the lady's arms..." Amy looked at me and said "Lia you need to step back from the baby since she's getting attached to you and she won't be able to find her forever home if you there 24/7...." Lia nodded and said "I know! It's just I can bare having her away from me or just leaving her alone!" Amy looked at Lia carefully before saying "Lia do you want me to tell you who worries 24/7 for the well-being of a child and it causes them emotional pain just to be away from them?" Lia looked at her as Amy said "A mother... That's the person you've become when you are with that baby girl. Now, I'm glad you love this baby girl, but Andrew you don't know if he wants to adopt this baby so you can't get too attach than you are now...." Lia nodded and said "I know.... Thanks Amy..." Amy smiled and said "No problem...." Lia smiled weakly at Amy before leaving the tunnels. Lia tried holding back her tears because she knew she had to keep her distance from the baby and it was just so painful that she did not know how to cope with it. She made her way into an on call room where she let the tears go.

In the conference room, the board was waiting patiently for Elizabeth Estefan. She had requested a meeting to discuss the baby girl found in the side of the road situation. Jackson, Callie, Arizona, Cristina, Derek and Meredith were waiting patiently while discussing the hospital budget. When Elizabeth arrived, their conversation seized. Elizabeth smiled and said "Doctors thank you for meeting with me on short notice...." Jackson smiled and said "It's no problem Mrs. Estefan, I trust you have interviewed all the foster parents recommendations I placed." She nodded and said "I did and I had scheduled a second interview for the couple I saw most fit to foster the baby girl." Derek nodded and said "I'm trusting it well?" Elizabeth shook her head and said "Not exactly, the parents are perfect, but the baby is not the right one for them.... However, I think I know who should be the people who foster this baby...." Callie nodded and said "Who should these two people be?" Elizabeth looked at the six of them before saying "Dr. Cecilia Grey-Shepherd and Dr. Andrew DeLuca." Their eyes immediately widened and Cristina said "Lia and DeLuca?!" Elizabeth nodded and said "After Dr. Grey-Shepherd discovered the baby girl she has not let her out of her sight. She comes to see her every time she gets and the baby has an attachment to her, one she mirrors. I realized this today because during the interview, she accidentally entered the room to check on the baby girl. The baby girl began crying out for her.... I believe after having checked their files for the last 2 weeks that Dr. Grey-Shepherd and Dr. DeLuca should in fact be the foster parents of the baby girl which the state has called Morgan since it's a gender neutral name." The board nodded and Arizona said "I agree with Mrs. Estefan. I've seen how Lia and Andrew have checked on the baby— Morgan non stop." Callie nodded and said "I agree too, Cecilia has always been great with Sofia and Millie.... I think she can do this. Andrew is amazing with kids and the bond he and Adriana share is just incredible." Cristina nodded and said "Heck let them foster the kid. They'll probably do a better job than me." Meredith looked at the her hands before saying "There's no one I would trust than my own daughter to handle the life of this little girl. Morgan has gone through so much and she needs someone who can provide shelter and a loving temporary home. Lia and Andrew would provide it all." Derek nodded agreeing with Meredith saying "Exactly the love Andrew and Lia share is one of a kind. The way the look at each other and just how they are with one another it's just shows the devotion they have for one another. Morgan needs someone who is devoted to her well-being. Andrew and Lia are those people." Jackson looked at the board and said "Mrs. Estefan you have our vote of approval." Elizabeth smiled and thanked the board as the meeting finished.