Chapter 68: Work and Specialities

It had been a week, since I had been back home. I anxiously waited for my results on the test. Aunt Bailey and Grandpa Richard design a surgery skill test, where I had to complete different types of surgeries on my own of each specialty that were only qualified for my residency group level. As a sat there breaking a sweat. I heard someones footsteps behind me. I turned to see my boyfriend with a bag of chips. I smiled and said "This is why I love you!" He laughed as he sat down next to me. He handed me the chips as I began to eat them. As I ate the chips, he said "You probably passed Ceci..." I said "There's a chance I didn't." Andrew said "Impossible! You're the smartest girl I know....." I looked at Andrew and right as I was about to answer him, we got interrupted by Aunt Bailey saying "Grey-Shepherd quit stress eating you passed." I smiled and said "I passed!" Aunt Bailey said "Yes Grey-Shep, you have a 48 hour shift and you've been requested by—There's gotta be a mistake here...." I looked confused at her, but that's when I saw both my parents racing over to us. Dad looked at Mom and said "She's with me." Mom shook her head and said "Are you crazy?! She's with me!" I looked back and forth at my bickering parents trying to decide who I would go with. Thankfully, Aunt Bailey came to my rescue and said "Jesus what is this? The kids playground?! Grey-Shepherd will go to the first 24 hours with Dr. Grey since she has an interesting surgery. After, she will go with Dr. Shepherd." My parents looked at each other and agreed with Aunt Bailey since they know arguing with her is pointless. Dad left whispering incoherent words, while my Mom smiled at me. She began walking as I followed closely behind her. She began saying, while we made our way to the patient room "Elena Alcaraz, 56 year old woman with a neuroendocrine tumors that spread to her pancreas." I looked at her and said "Alright so the specialized cells spread to her pancreas." She nodded as she lead us to the patient room and I saw the patient. The woman smiled at us and I saw that her family was eating different assortment of dishes. They all smiled at us and I asked "Is that queso fundido?" The old woman nodded at me and said "Es una receta familiar que lleva muchas generaciones en nuestra familia...." (Translation: Its a family recipe that has been in our family for many generations...) I nodded and said "Puedo probar?" The old woman nodded and offered me queso fundido with chips. I instantly tried it and I was shocked by how good it tasted. I smiled and said "Its so good....." The old women smiled at me and my mom said "Dr. Grey-Shepherd please present the case." I nodded and began presenting. As I presented, I kept looking at my mother's proud face as I babbled on about the woman's condition. After I finished presenting, my mom presented the surgical plan. After she finished, we left the patient room leaving a second year resident to prep her for surgery.

After scrubbing in, I was all prepped standing in front of the patient with my mom on the other side. My mom kept looking at me and I asked "Aren't you going to open her up???" She shook her head and said "No Ceci, you're going to open her up." I sighed and said "Scalpel...." Bohkee passed me the scalpel and I began the operation. I would be lying if I wasn't expecting this. I knew both of my parents were fighting for me to choose their specialties. However, I didn't know what I would do. If I choose one or the other I would still hurt one of them. It was a lose or lose situation. However, if I choose cardio I would hurt both of them. I felt stuck in this void of indecision that I didn't notice that I had completed the surgery with complete ease. Mom looked at me proud and said "Dr. Kahn would you do the honor of closing?" The second year resident nodded and began to close, while Mom and I exited the scrub room. We began to scrub out and Mom said "That was amazing Cecilia!" I stayed silent and when I finished scrubbing I left her without saying a word. I checked my watch and realized I had an hour left before I had to switch specialties. I decided to go the cafeteria to hydrate and feed myself.

When I got to the cafeteria, I saw my boyfriend sitting with Jo and Ivy. I decided to see if any of the other interns where there. I saw my two persons so I decided to get a Caesar salad with chicken, bottle of water and coffee . After getting my food, I headed to the table where Kara and Nick sat. I sighed as I sat down and Kara said "Damn how long have you've been awake?" I looked at my watch and said "I just got out of a 13 hour surgery with my mom. I'm eating since I have another shift now with my dad." Nick looked at me questioningly and said "Aren't you in general?" I said "I was but my parents are anxious about me choosing their specialities so they divided my 48-hour shift into 24 hours in general and the other 24 hours in neuro...." Kara said "Damn they have you on edge....." I nodded and said "It's just very complicated...." Nick said "Just choose one or the other...." I began rambling saying "It's just if I choose neuro then my mom gets hurt and if I chose general then my dad gets hurt. However if I choose." Kara said "Wait you're considering another specialty?" I nodded and said "I'm considering cardio, but not many people know that.... It's just if I choose cardio then I hurt both of them...." Nick said "Ceci just choose what makes you happy it's your specialty...." I nodded knowing and kept eating my food. While I ate and drank my coffee, I heard the conversations between Kara and Nick. Recently, Nick has been thinking about hosting a barbecue at his and Amy's house. Kara and Joey had recently moved into a small house since when he entered his 3rd year of college he moved into Kara's apartment. My thoughts were interrupted when I heard my Dad saying "Ceci! It's time for you to go work with me!" I looked at him and grabbed one more bite out of my sandwich and stood up. I said my goodbyes to Kara and Nick. After saying my goodbyes, I began to follow my Dad.

We first began doing some rounds, checking up on his post ops. I was guessing today was a slow day since Dad was just making sure his patients were okay. However, his pager sounded and he looked at me saying "We have a trauma...." I nodded and we began heading to the pit. When we arrived to the pit, we got gowned up before heading outside to meet the ambulance. When we got outside, we met the ambulance and the medic began saying "Jane Doe 36 year old woman and she had 2 seizures on route. She feel off a ladder and hit her head." My dad nodded and said "Get her to trauma 1 and Cecilia-" I was using my pager before saying "I already ordered a head CT and a MRI just to be sure. There's also a OR ready if we have to operate." My Dad nodded and we began taking her to trauma 1. When we arrived to trauma 1 we began the evaluation. My Dad checked her head to verify if there was any external injuries. There was no external injuries so we took the patient to get some scans. After we got some scans, the MRI revealed which much more depth her condition. She had an intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH). ICH meant that she was bleeding into the brain tissue. My Dad and I immediately took her to the OR. We scrubbed quickly before heading in to operate on her. My Dad just like Mom let me be head surgeon on this case. I began operating on her hemorrhage. It was a slow process since I was trying to do this perfectly. I was able to prepare the bleed, but she stroke out. My Dad told me it wasn't my fault that she was going to die. I knew it wasn't my fault but it still was a life lost. I asked him if we were done for today and he nodded. I left the scrub room leaving my Dad alone.

After I left the scrub room, I went to Andrew's office. It's been a long day and I would love nothing more to go home with Andrew tonight. When I got to his office, I saw Andrew sitting on the couch. He smiled at me and I got into the couch snuggling into Andrew's chest. I felt a soft touch on my back and he asked "Are you okay love?" I nodded and said "Yeah I just want to go home... with you tonight..." Andrew nodded and said "I finished my paperwork not too long ago we can go home...." I smiled and said "I would like that..." We stood up and Andrew got his stuff before we left his office. After leaving his office, we headed towards the parking lot. After we got to the parking lot, we headed towards his car so we could head to his place.

When we got to his place, I immediately laid in the couch. Andrew laughed and said "Do you want me to take you upstairs love?" I looked at him and before I could answer he picked me up bridal style. I giggled as I wrapped my arms around his shoulders. He began taking me upstairs, while I pressed soft kisses along his jaw. When we got to this bedroom he laid me down on the bed softly and I said "I love you....." Andrew while taking off my shoes and socks said "I love you too....." I felt him place the blanket on me so I could be warm and he whispered "You left your purse downstairs so if you look for it when you wake up it's there..." I nodded and I felt him press a kiss on my forehead before I fell asleep from exhausting after a long day.

A/N: Hey everyone Im so sorry this update is late. Recently I got accepted in a summer program about medicine which is an opportunity of a lifetime which I'm not wasting. I'm trying my best to write the chapters as quick as possible but I know I took long with this one. To be completely honest I had no motivation to finish this chapter but I think the next one is will be more motivating to write. I proof read it once so I hope there's not much gramatical errors.  Thank you for reading and I love you all so much! Have a great week!!!