xli. by a thread

(   XLII

( XLII. BY A THREAD )

THE SHERIFF'S STATION WAS A MESS. Amelie hadn't realized she had trapped her breath in until Stiles put his hand on her shoulder when she finally exhaled. Desks were thrown across the room and a dangerous trail of blood made her nerves tense up. She didn't want to think of whose that belonged to. Walking ahead of the boys, she followed the ruby down the hall and into the sheriff's office where she couldn't keep her legs straight.

Lydia laid down on the floor, her mother cradling her shoulders as blood oozed out of her abdomen.

"Lydia," Amelie gasped out, her eyes immediately flashing lilac warningly. "Please, no, no, no, no."

"I'll be okay," Lydia tried to say but talking obviously pained her. "Ams, I'm fine."

Amelie tightened her eyes shut, trying to nod, trying to convince herself. Lydia was fine. She was going to be fine. She wasn't going to lose her best friend, again.

Stiles' familiar hand made its way to her shoulder again, making her turn to look at his teary eyed face. They've seen this before. They've been here before, and she knew that only Stiles would understand that. She watched Theo's approaching figure as he leaned down next to her, quickly taking off his belt.

It was like her eyesight went out of focus because she couldn't remember the rest. She couldn't remember Stiles helping her walk out and guiding her back to his car where she cried the entire way to the hospital. She couldn't remember sitting in the waiting room, staring at the white concrete walls in front her. It was like after all this time, she was always brought back here. To the hospital.

She could only remember her mom's familiar voice as it shook her out of her daydream. Sydney sat next to her daughter, a pitiful smile on her full lips. The teenagers gathered around them.

"How bad is it?" Stiles was the first to speak. He had been pacing the entire time. Amelie couldn't remember.

"Could have been worse," Sydney sighed, grasping her daughter's hand tightly as if to say 'you can breathe now', "Theo, nice going on that tourniquet. You probably saved her life."

Amelie glanced at Theo, who stood at the back. She could only give him a small smile.

"All right. She's about to go into surgery, so it's going to be a while," Sydney explained before asking. "Any other supernatural details that I need to know about, or do we just stitch her up and hope for the best?"

"It was the tail," Kira answered.

"Yeah, Tracy cut her with the tail, if that makes a difference," Scott added.