59| Secret Garden

Start from the beginning

Are we just gonna ignore the fact that someone shot at Eli?

But I would be lying to say that this is not an attractive offer. Doing research has always been my dream before I came down to Slugterra, and what Professor Dorium offered me definitely interests me.

"You should definitely come!" Bob exclaimed. "And maybe after that I can show you my collection of sportmechas!"

"Sportmechas?" Kord, who was probably eavesdropping the entire time, questioned out loud. "Those cost an arm and a leg! And aren't you fifteen?"

"His father can afford them," his mother responded for her son. "I don't see what's the problem here."

Kord kept silent as she turned to me, putting on the fakest smile I've ever seen someone wear.

"Oh dear, if you wish to have anything, anything at all, just let me know. Whatever you want. Slucci, SV, Slanel, or even Flarraris and Lariaghinis, you name it."

I was stunned.

Is this a sugar baby offer?

"With all due respect," I started. "I am beyond happy and grateful with what I have in life right now. I don't need nor do I long for luxurious things."

"That's a lie," she replied, almost rolling her eyes in annoyance. "Who doesn't?"

"Honey," Professor Dorium tried to stop his wife from embarrassing his family.

"Luxury goods are just part of what is installed for you," Mrs Dorium added. "The opportunity for you to finally be able to do what you love, research! You'll have the best resources and the most outstanding team possible! You don't have to worry about your expenses. We will cover it."

She took my hand in hers and looked me in the eye.

"Not everyone has this opportunity to work with us, Alessia," she said with so much hope in her eyes. I gulped, starting to feel uncomfortable with this woman.

"Mrs Dorium," I sighed, gently pulling my hand away from her grasp. "Not all things can be bought by wealth. I may not be the richest person in Slugterra, but I am contented."

I took the time to look around the table to see my friends, the Shane Gang.

"I have my family," I said, my gaze then fell on my slugs.

"And my strong arsenal of slugs that I could die for," I continued, before looking up. Eli was still giving his speech on stage, encouraging and comforting the people.

"And my man."

"He's not your man," she replied almost instantly.

"He may not be officially," I shrugged. "But if you're thinking of asking me to date your son, from where I was, that's illegal."

She huffed as I heard the giggles of the Shane Gang, before the sudden wave of claps from the audience diverted my attention from the Dorium family. Eli finished his speech with the crowd cheering on their feet as he made his way back to our table. He had a handsome grin on his face as he shook the hands of those who greeted him when he was getting off the stage, having small conversations with them, but when his gaze landed on me and the person next to me, his smile vanished.

"Ales," he called out for me as he walked towards me to stand behind my seat. I looked up at him, he gave me a small smile. Reaching down, he gave me a small peck on my forehead, before he turned his head and stare at Mrs Dorium as if he knew what she said when he was giving his speech. Mrs Dorium broke eye contact with him and looked down at her feet.

"Get up," Eli said, before looking down at me again. "There's somewhere you have to be."

I raised a brow.