24| Illusions

"Fire!" Twist commanded as more ghouls were sent charging towards us with nasty cries and terrifying glares.

"Keep those ghouls away from the crowd!" Eli yelled as he loaded up Joules and fired him at three incoming Greneater, which he handled with ease. I fired Prime at an incoming Attacknet before I drove Dalinda off, swerving her behind a pile of frozen rocks for a better shot at the goons above us. Peeking through my cover, I spotted the group of goons on the left mountains. There were about twenty of them, and they did not seem to notice me.

"Light, Ari, ready to show them what you got?" I called out as the aforementioned slugs hopped out from my backpack and chirped. I once again turned my weapon in a slow, clockwise motion as the slugs loaded themselves up, and I fired them one after the other.

I holstered back my blaster as Light megamorphed first. Lifting my arms, I directed him, shifting him left and right to avoid crashing into the ghouls. When it was at a near distance to the goons, his light filament glowed brightly, temporarily blinded the goons. Now that the ghouls were no longer firing, Ari megamorphed and opened her gigantic mouth, letting out a melodious tune. One by one, the goons fell for her charming voice, and some of the goons were starting to fall down the deadly mountains.

I loaded up Funnel and aimed it at the plummeting goons to stop them from falling to their deaths, when a gunfire rang in my ear and I froze. I looked over my cover. A Dark Urchin was charging straight at me.

Everything was happening too quickly. There was only one slug loaded in my blaster. On one hand, Tad's goons were falling down the mountains, and on the other hand, a Dark Urchin was coming at me that could very possibly kill me.

I took in a deep breath.

I knew what must be done.

I aimed my blaster at the goons, my eyes narrowed as I fired Funnel at them. She megamorphed and formed a spider web, successfully caught the plunging goons before they hit the ground.

"Phoenix?" I called out, but there was no response. My eyes widened, I could feel myself panicking as the ghoul was at a menacing distance.

Everything went into slow motion. I watched in terror as the ghoul crawled into a ball, before sharp, deadly spines protruded out from its scaly body. My gaze was fixed on the incoming ghoul when I felt Dalinda wrapped her tail around my waist, dragged me off her back before she placed me under her body to protect me. Her wings expanded, her eyes glared at the spikes, but she could do nothing to stop them.

"Dalinda no!" I screamed. I tried to get on her to drive the both of us out, but she forced me down underneath her with her tail firmly wrapped around my waist, knowing that there was not enough time to run.

I dropped my head in defeat. The spears were too near.

At the last second, a Flaringo velocimorphed towards us and burned down the spikes before they could touch Dalinda. I looked up, just to see the purple haired girl smirked at me.

"Finally! I saved your ass!" she proclaimed proudly as she fired her Armashelt at a velocimorphed Neurotox, knocking it out. "Come on Ales! We ain't got the whole day!"

I quickly got onto my feet and mounted Dalinda while Eli managed to get rid of the goons on the mountains to our right.

"Thanks Mia, you definitely improved a lot in slinging these past few days!" I praised as I drove beside her, firing Harley at a goon on his mecha.

"Of course! All the distress calls really put me in situations out of my comfort zone," she replied with a sweet smile, and I shifted my attention to my own mecha.