03| The Shane Gang

We settled down in the living room. There were two couches, one to the right and the other to the left of the coffee table, both couches facing each other. Mia and I sat on one of the couches while the four strangers sat on the other, with the man sitting in the middle of them all and the blue creature standing up beside the couch. Due to his enormous size, he wasn't able to squeeze in.

We stared at each other. Eli looked at us curiously, but the rest was glaring daggers. I scooted closer towards Mia uneasily, playing with my fingers awkwardly.

Eli finally cleared his throat and started his introduction.

"I'm Eli Shane. This is Trixie, Pronto, and Kord. We are the Shane Gang, the protectors of the 99 caverns," Eli stated, pointing at his teammates respectively.

"What are your names?" Eli asked. His voice so soothing, his eyes shone with care.

"Nice to meet all of you! I'm Mia, and this is Ales-" I pulled on her arm, cutting her off.

"Mia, wait! We just met them. Are you sure we can trust them? We don't know if they are good or bad! What if they have bad intentions? You are gonna trust them that easily?" I whispered as softly as I can to Mia.

"Relax buddy, are you blind? Can't you see how gorgeous that boy, Eli, is? How can someone that hot has bad intentions?" she giggled, completely forgot the fact that five minutes ago two of his gang members were pointing their blasters at us.

"Yes, that boy is gorgeous, but looks can be deceiving-"

"I can hear you. You know that, right?" Eli said, and I could feel Mia's body tensed up beside me. I gulped.

"So, Mia and... Ali?" Pronto asked. I almost puked at that name.

"Well, no it's actually-"

"Ali it is! Easy to pronounce, easy to remember, like Eli!" Pronto proclaimed, cutting me off. I rolled my eyes and everyone couldn't help but to let out a soft giggle.

"Alright so, Mia and Ali, how did the both of you ended up hear again?" Eli asked.

"Long story short, we fell down a tunnel and Hero saved us, and-" Mia briefly explained, but was cut off almost immediately.

"Hero?" Trixie questioned, tilting her head slightly in confusion. It was at that split second, I realised how pretty she is, and I quickly shook of my thoughts and answer her question before someone finds me suspicious again.

"Yeah. My slug. You guys called it the Air Elemental. It transformed into a beast and landed us safely on ground, apparently," I explained, Hero squeaked in agreement on my lap.

"He's YOUR slug?"

"Can someone even legally own one of the Elementals other than the Shane Gang?"

"Do you have any idea how powerful he is?"

"Where did you find him?"

It was a lot to digest, especially that these people don't find slugs that can transform into monsters terrifying.

Seriously, how is this normal?

I have a mountain of unanswered questions, but I still managed to answer their questions before they start to think that we were intruders again.

"Yes, he is my slug. To my understanding there is no law stating that I can't own a slug. No I still have no idea how powerful he is. And where did I found it? I found it at-" I paused, my mind recalling the special day. I let out a soft sigh.

"I found it at a special place. A very special place," I continued. "I found it right before we fell into the tunnel."

Right. The neighbourhood. Today is his 18th birthday.