15| Red Hook

New chapter today cuz it's my birthday! Do me a favour and enjoy reading!
...

"Hey! Eli!" I yelled at him on my thrusting mecha as the Shane Gang rode towards our next destination, with Kord and Pronto at the very end, Trixie and Mia behind me, and Eli a few feet in front of me. "How did you know Phoenix is a girl!?" I asked him.

After Mia discovered that her mecha can transform into a motorcycle, we decided to ride in vehicle mode. With his helmet on, I reckoned it was hard for him to hear what I was saying as he turned back to me and shot me a confused look.

"What!?" he called back and frowned his brows.

"How can you tell if a slug is a boy or a girl!?" I voiced out, still riding my mecha at a comfortable pace.

"Whatttttt!?" he called back again, now with a curved palm pressed against the back of his ear. I sighed, and turned the throttles of my mecha to speed up, and rode right beside him.

"I SAID-" I was practically screaming at him but I quickly silenced myself when he giggled and revved his engine, increasing the volume of the mechanic noise. Giggles were heard from the rest of the gang. Discharging a glare at him, I raised my blaster and aimed at him with Phoenix loaded up in it. His eyes widened and he gasped, before he swerved away from me to his left.

"I was just kidding! I heard you!" he yelled as the rest of the gang laughed at him. Satisfied with his answer, I spun my blaster and holstered it back. "You actually thought I'll slug you!?" I questioned, smirking at him. "Please, tell me already! I'm dying to know!"

"Just like how you can tell if a human is a guy or a girl!" he answered as he continued to keep a safe distance from me. I looked down at the group of slugs that were hovering above my mecha's control panel, having conversations in their own language. Hero and Cobra were the first ones to catch me staring at the group as they looked up at me and chirped.

"I don't see it!" I exclaimed, looking back at Eli. Every slug looked exactly the same.

"You seriously want me to point it out for you?" he asked, raising his eyebrow at me and smirked. I bit my lips and rolled my eyes playfully at him.

"It's good knowledge," I replied, and smiled sarcastically at him. He let out a small laugh and shook his head. Out of the blue, Burpy hopped out from his backpack and perched on his shoulder. He smiled at me before his eyes landed on Phoenix on the control panel and he waved at her.

"Go ahead Burpy!" Eli, after noticing his top slug, encouraged him. Eli shortened the distance between us by riding closer to me and Burpy leaped to my mecha beast, landing right next to Phoenix.

"Now that a male and a female slug of the same species are right next to each other, it should be easier to tell them apart," Eli informed as I speculated the pair. They looked up at me and tilted their heads adorably. I narrowed my eyes as I scanned their bodies.

Finally, I spotted the difference in their visual reproductive parts.

"I see it now," I said as I turned to look at Eli with a proud grin. He laughed at me.

"This is such a stupid yet informative conversation," Eli commented and I shrugged. "What's so embarrassing about this?" I questioned, my eyes focused back on the road ahead. "Did your science teacher not teach you about the baby-making organs of the human body?"

He facepalmed and chuckled, saying nothing in return as we continued our journey to meet the blastermaker. On our way I managed to differentiate the males and females in my arsenal of slugs.

Strange, Funnel, Top, Taser, Mago, and my three new slugs from Tad are all females. After knowing their genders, I named my new Dirt Urchin, my Frightheist and my Gazzer, Spikey, Annabelle and Harley.