43| Hope

You know the drill. Play the song and enjoy :)

Hugging my knees close to my chest, I sat in the corner of the dusty, foreign room. A lifeless lightbulb hung in the middle, providing only the necessary amount of light needed to catch a glimpse of the four windowless walls.

I took in a deep breath, collecting my thoughts.

Slugterra needs me.

"Come on Ales, pick yourself up," I whispered, attempting to reassemble my broken self that had shattered into pieces. "Eli wouldn't want to see you like this."

I lifted my head and stared straight at the plain ceiling. A tear escaped, and I could feel it rolling down my cold skin.

"Can you see me?"

The atmosphere was so tensed, yet it was peaceful; so powerful, yet weak.

"I love you too, Eli."

The confession slipped out of my mouth as my heart tore. Deep down I knew so clearly, it was too late to say those five words.

"Eli," I whimpered. "Please don't leave me. I'm weak. I need you to be strong."

More tears streamed down my eyes, my mind exhausted.

"Please come back to me."

I bawled my eyes out as I tightened my grip on my knees, hugging myself closer.

Have you not thought about how much it's going to hurt me before you sacrifice your life for the betterment of everyone?

How am I supposed to save Slugterra without you?

How am I supposed to live the rest of my life without you?

How am I supposed to let go of the memories we shared?

How am I ever going to find happiness again?

Please, could you fulfil the promise you made, just one more time?

That one day, we will meet again?

I wept as my thoughts destroyed me.

Life is truly cruel. I had my best friend, my best life, my love, and the next thing I knew, everything was gone. Just like that.

At least I have learned to appreciate every single thing in life, even the smallest things, before they vanished, because one day it certainly will go, including my own life.

I shouldn't dwell in the past anymore and start to appreciate the chance to save our land, and let's not make the following three weeks a regretful one.

A smile formed on my lips. It was the first smile after his demise. With newfound drive, I stood up to my feet and clenched my fists.

I'm doing this for myself, for the slugs, for the people living here, and for him.

My gaze landed on the only door in the room. I walked towards it, my eyes fixed on it with determination as I opened it, ready to face the giant that was coming in my way.

He was right all along.

I have to learn to fight without him.

One last tear rolled down my pale cheek as I stepped a foot out of the room, stepping out of my barriers, stepping out of my limits, desire to win.

I am going to save Slugterra, no matter what.

I exited the hallway and entered the meeting room where everyone was. They immediately stopped every conversation and looked at me.